Time to pay the piper - adding a sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maximo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well I will be the first one to admit I didn't listen. I should have gone with a sump from the get-go. Almost 1yr after setting up a 65gal marine aquarium I am ready to try again. I don't like the look of all the equipment in the display. Most of all the Mag3 on the Remora Pro is an eye sore. I have been fighting a raging infestation of cyano... need a fuge also.

In an attempt to make things perfect before adding anymore fish I have only added one fish and he jumped out long ago. I added a cleanup crew and I think a mantis took out most of it. I'm thinking the mantis died as I have not seen him in a while. There are 2 urchins that came with the liverock and they seem to be doing ok.

Following is what I have compiled so far as to what to do:

1. Find or build a new stand- The tank is 36" wide and the stand only has one small door on the front in the middle. Obviously I will need good access to the sump and equipment. I will probably be buying one as I don't have the proper equipment to build a nice stand; though I love to build things.

2. Drill tank for overflows/returns- A local glass shop will drill the tank for 10bux a hole. I'm thinking 2 for overflows and 4 for return. I don't necessarily have to use all 4 returns right now... just for future additions like a CL or something.

3. Paint the back black- Should I glue the bulkheads in then paint or vice versa? Can I get black bulkheads? Black silicone? Will I need Durso standpipes for noise reduction?

4. Sump - I am thinking of using a glass fishtank around 30gal as the sump. I would like to divide it up and make part of it a refugium. I'll need a place to put the Remora Pro and return pump as well.

5. Return pump - I'm thinking a Mag12. Head is 4'. The Mag12 is rated 1130gph at 4'. So if I had two returns would that work ok? Will the Mag12 be very loud?

return pump.............. $110
lockline.....................
sump tank.................
glass to divide sump...
stand......................... $200???
drilling tank................ $60
bulkheads..................
overflow box..............
paint.......................... $7

I will be updating this post as I gather more info. Any help or input is very much appreciated!

Thanks,

-Maximo

I cant help ya but can tell ya that i myself had a 55gal in past. Never had a SW tank before so i skipped that and went straight to a reef tank. I would say it was a disaster but i have no clue what a disaster looks like.

Mine is built in a wall that requires me to climb a latter in another room just to access the rear. Once im there i have limited access thru the top (about 8inches instead if the tank width 12inches) i felt i had too much algae growing so gave up.

Well that was 2 years ago and decided to give it another try. this time talking to people like in these forums too see which would be the best routes to take. I may only drop 5lbs of LR in the tank for now let it cycle and see what happens. Last time there was no waiting it was just "build-it then populate". That was dumb.

ok...
a sump can be a cheap glass tank from wally mart as long as it fits under your tank stand.
no to drilling....I personally dont advice to this...especially for glass and ur size...if u had a bigger tank then maybe...i know overflow/prefilters are pretty but its a hell of alot cheaper then the drilling route and they take less tank space and u dont run the risk of screwing up ur tank with leaks or cracking
I got a maxi reef wetdry and jsut replaced the bioballs with LR rubble and im goin good
not sure why u need a mag 12....thats alot of power for a 65 gal even if u have dual returns....
u do obviously want to get a return pump that is more then your overflow and you can adjust the flow with a ball value to restrick it to match your flow but I dont really see why a mag 12 is needed...there is such thing as overkill
good luck though

go here to read up on sumps :)
http://www.melevsreef.com/what_sump.html

I'm thinking I would rather risk drilling the tank then having a flood on my carpet. It seems to me overflows are a bit safer than a "j" or "u" tube type of setup. I understand that if these are setup properly that they "shouldn't" cause a flood but like I said I'd rather risk the tank before the carpet.

So you think a Mag12 is too much? even if it is split off into 2 return lines?
How about a Mag9.5 it is rated at 800gph at 4'.

Also someone told me that Mag pumps generate a lot of heat and tend to raise tank temps more than some other pumps.. is that true?

Thanks,

-M

u do obviously want to get a return pump that is more then your overflow and you can adjust the flow with a ball value to restrick it to match your flow
umm shouldn't ur overflow be able to move more water then ur pump to prevent Main tank overflow?

Back
Top Bottom