Tim's 54 Gallon Corner -> Going Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd never believe it, but my girlfriend just got me an early Christmas present: the new encyclopedia of the Saltwater Aquarium by Greg Jennings!

I must be lucky because my wife wants another & a bigger tank. And the best of All is she doesn't want to touch them. lol I found a 145 gallon corner lastnight on Ebay for steal. Man we need to build our house soon!!!!!

KcTx said:
I must be lucky because my wife wants another & a bigger tank. And the best of All is she doesn't want to touch them. lol I found a 145 gallon corner lastnight on Ebay for steal. Man we need to build our house soon!!!!!

That's so cool mine was so mad that I got my current 55 after the big issue I had with my 240 gallon and the money I spent on it that I lost

So today has been awful!! lastnight when I went to bed all was well in my little SW world. I just so happen to wake up around 2 am to answer natures call and get a drink, as I'm passing though the living room I notice that my skimmer sounds different. When I get closer I notice the skimmer is running over and back into main display, I adjust everything and start to go back to bed thinking i'm in the clear now. I just so happen to turn on my blue light To have a look @ everything & immediately notice my Harliquin Basslit on the sand bed laboring to breath and much darker. BOOM!!!! WE NEED FULL LIGHT & A HIGH POWERED FLASHLIGHT... like stat!!!! I notice The Coral Beauty on it's side in distress also but everything else was acting fine? The corals actually looks great. I did notice some white slim milky looking stuff near the SB in a rock tunnel but was more worried about the fish at the moment. I new something was up with the water and was plaining on doing my water change today so I had about 20ish gallons of new water ready to go with another 2o gallons of RO/DI water already to be mixed. SO I do the water change that ends up being about 26 gallons get everything reset in tank & start mixing the next batch of water thinking surely I'd be doing another change today if things don't look better. So @ 4:45am I have A good solid look @ everything and go to sleep & wake up at 6:30 for work, immediately I check tank and the bass is in same spot same condition & the CB is gone & I decided to add 2 small hob carbon filters check everything & hope for the best & i'm off to work. I got home around 1PM Bass is dead, CB is found dead after i dug out all my rock work & I discovered that my serpent star was rotting away?? the center of his body was kinda melting away? is the best way to explain it. I know they will regenerate almost all of themselves but it was f'in gross and seemed to be getting worse the more he moved around? I guess I'll post some pics of the chaos later. :banghead:

That sucks. I'm so happy my skimmer is in my sump now...it caused havoc in my tank when it was HOB. Awful looking water and the corals were angry. Now everything is good and growing steadily.

KcTx said:
So today has been awful!! lastnight when I went to bed all was well in my little SW world. I just so happen to wake up around 2 am to answer natures call and get a drink, as I'm passing though the living room I notice that my skimmer sounds different. When I get closer I notice the skimmer is running over and back into main display, I adjust everything and start to go back to bed thinking i'm in the clear now. I just so happen to turn on my blue light To have a look @ everything & immediately notice my Harliquin Basslit on the sand bed laboring to breath and much darker. BOOM!!!! WE NEED FULL LIGHT & A HIGH POWERED FLASHLIGHT... like stat!!!! I notice The Coral Beauty on it's side in distress also but everything else was acting fine? The corals actually looks great. I did notice some white slim milky looking stuff near the SB in a rock tunnel but was more worried about the fish at the moment. I new something was up with the water and was plaining on doing my water change today so I had about 20ish gallons of new water ready to go with another 2o gallons of RO/DI water already to be mixed. SO I do the water change that ends up being about 26 gallons get everything reset in tank & start mixing the next batch of water thinking surely I'd be doing another change today if things don't look better. So @ 4:45am I have A good solid look @ everything and go to sleep & wake up at 6:30 for work, immediately I check tank and the bass is in same spot same condition & the CB is gone & I decided to add 2 small hob carbon filters check everything & hope for the best & i'm off to work. I got home around 1PM Bass is dead, CB is found dead after i dug out all my rock work & I discovered that my serpent star was rotting away?? the center of his body was kinda melting away? is the best way to explain it. I know they will regenerate almost all of themselves but it was f'in gross and seemed to be getting worse the more he moved around? I guess I'll post some pics of the chaos later. :banghead:

+1 sorry

Kc that blows. Its hard to imagine that crap happening once you think you have everything dialed in.

well everything is back to normal now? I'm still using the HOB carbon filters & probably will over the next few days. I had to try to get my rock back to how it was but had very little luck & was so frustrated with it when I got it back together. On the plus side I did cut out the 3 peices of Aptasia that had come up, that's A small bright side though! lol Hope My 54 corner homies have a merry holiday!

Ecotech Radion night light. Looks better in person. Pic taken with cell phone camera

Attachments

• IMG952011122495193327.jpg
    IMG952011122495193327.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 81
Like what lights to change to haha.... I have been looking on line and doing research on these light for a long time and they seem to be the best from what I have found

Exactly, my thing is, I just upgraded my bulbs to the ATI's and my T5's are doing great even growing SPS, as you know, but at the same time, I love the look and functionality of those LEDs.

Yeah ur tank is amazing and I don't think u need to change a thing about ur tank.... however the leds you don't have to buy new bulbs so that will save money in the long run.... for me it costs over 250 bucks to replace my bulbs every year so that is y I am looking to led

Back
Top Bottom