Tim's 54 Gallon Corner -> Going Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just noticed my pic was in the dusk light, I'll put up A better shot later. & Tim I must say your tank looks great.

Kc, the shot was still good. Your frogspawn is huge! Looking forward to more pics!

Thanks, found 'em for $4 at drs f and s too... Also just bought a rio 1100 pump on amazon for $11.99 - good deal for much easier water changes!

Wow your tanks look great. Finally got some water in mine here are some pics. Are micro bubble normal for a new tank they are everywhere and I did put a bubble trap in my sump

pictures

Attachments

• IMG_20111218_120250.jpg
    IMG_20111218_120250.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20111220_094045.jpg
    IMG_20111220_094045.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20111220_094119.jpg
    IMG_20111220_094119.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20111220_094140.jpg
    IMG_20111220_094140.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 82
A better pic, still not that great IMO but it's something to look at.

image-1207684350.jpg

My newest addition hiding out.
image-1740036855.jpg

Attachments

• image-2732924202.jpg
    image-2732924202.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 77
Looking FANTASTIC! The LED's seem very bright!

I am unsure of the bubble issue, never had the issue.

One question: In the picture it looks as though your tank is literally backed into the corner with zero room on both sides... Is this an illusion, or are you not planning to scrape the sides with the mag float / hide it in the back corner behind the rocks?

More and more I think I'm going to build a hood. It looks so good to see the light not going everywhere

Ha, another question: did you leave the top of the tank open, or do you have any cover other than the hood?

Looking FANTASTIC! The LED's seem very bright!

One question: In the picture it looks as though your tank is literally backed into the corner with zero room on both sides... Is this an illusion, or are you not planning to scrape the sides with the mag float / hide it in the back corner behind the rocks?

Ha, another question: did you leave the top of the tank open, or do you have any cover other than the hood?

I want to know also. I have a parcel top on mine & I can't see getting the tank closer to the wall than mine without doing some sheetrock work. Witch I have thought of doing.

Thx TL. I have about three inches of room on the side of the tank. I'm assuming your talking about the outside of the tank correct. I bought a magnet cleaner for the tank. Its pretty strong. I do have a glass cover I bought with the tank. So far so good. I thought I cracked the bulkhead when tightening my plumbing. I heard a pop and had a small drip. Took apart added a union and silicone. No leaks for now, not looking forward to changing the bulkhead if it fails. If I solve my microbubble problem I will be very happy. I've heard it is probably just because its a new tank and it should go away.

I think you have a pin sized air leak near the input to a pump. Unfortunately, you might not even be able to see it. Check your PVC welds and any unions you are using to see if that isn't the problem. There are some protein skimmers that tend to put out bubbles, but your bubbles look even smaller than what a skimmer produces.

Thanks I appreciate the tips. The bubbles definitely do look like they are coming from the Skimmer. They are so small that they are going through the bubble trap and back to the DT. Since I have 40 lbs of aragalive and 55 LBS of rock how long before I can add any fish. No damsels for me I don't want to try to remove them later. I heard they are aggressive

katoom27 said:
Thanks I appreciate the tips. The bubbles definitely do look like they are coming from the Skimmer. They are so small that they are going through the bubble trap and back to the DT. Since I have 40 lbs of aragalive and 55 LBS of rock how long before I can add any fish. No damsels for me I don't want to try to remove them later. I heard they are aggressive

Did you try a filter sock over the outflow pipe from the skimmer? Have to be careful the sock never clogs up as it would overflow the skimmer, but it might kill the bubbles.

Since we're on skimmers, I have a question. Currently in my sump I have it split in two chambers. The first chamber is the longest and holds about 25-30lbs of live rock rubble and my heater. The 2nd has a little rubble and my return pump.

I currently have no skimmer or any mechanical filtration. Would I be in a better position to put the rock in the DT and remove all rock from sump, and add a skimmer to the sump instead?

The only real issue I have is not understanding the needs of the skimmer. I don't have a bubble trap as the only divider is full of holes and only goes about half-way down.

Yes you should have a Skimmer it will remove all the junk that is in ur water to help your sps have a better life.... as for the rock if you can put as much of it in ur dt. But try to keep some in ur sump as well but have enough room for a Skimmer and I am a asm g series Skimmer fan they work great and won't brake the bank....

A skimmer will relieve the load on the biological filtration in your tank by directly lifting many of the long protein chain molecules from the water and dispose of them. This is organic waste at the beginning of a breakdown cycle, so it is nice to eliminate it.

Back
Top Bottom