To encounter heat problem in marine tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angmoh

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys, currently i'm having a 2ft x 1ft x 1ft 10 gal FOWLR tank ... and i just upgraded the lighting (1 x 20W daylight and 1 x 20W coral blue moon) . The heat dissipated by the light is pretty hot ..

i'm wondering if the fish and invertebrate can take it ? temp is about 31-32 celcius degree.

LS i'm having now is : ocellaris , bicolor blenny, electrical blue leg, cleaner shrimp and some caulerpa (red-sea grape and normal sea grape) ... and i'm planning to get some mushrooms ...

i'm thinking of cooling the tank by using an AC fan to blow on it .. but...

1) Will it cause major salinity swing during the evaporation ? As we know, quite an amount of water can be evaporate during the fanning period.

2) I'm thinking of turning on the fan during the photoperiod ( 8 am - 8pm) and will turn off at nite .. just wan to reduce the evaporation rate. Is it advisable ?

3) If toping up fresh water is needed, what's the correct procedure ? ie. get a bucket of water, pour in antichlorine and pour into the tank directly ? or ? leave it over night.. ???

thanks !

using a fan will cool the tank, and that is actually the method that I have chosen to use. it will also as you stated increase evaporation and deneding on the fan size and speed it may increase a lot. I just pour freshwater from my tap directly into the tank.

i have a 50 gallon tank and lose up 2 gallons every other day to evapoartion.

but mine is just a 10 gal tank ... i'm afraid the evaporation will cause the water parameters fluctuate alot ...

any experience ?

Temp is way too high, you're at almost 90 deg. F. Get a bucket of water RO/DI if you can, otherwise, dechlorinate it by putting in a water conditioner or letting it sit for 24 hours. Use that freshwater to top it off.

I would personally rather top off my water and leave my fans on than risk having 90 degree water temp.

Is about 23/74 to cold for fish? That is what mine is currently at though i have a heater on it's way in the mail.

Also, are digital temperature thingys worth it? I have one and it gets the same reading as mums non electric but will it uncalibrate itself?

I would raise the temperature up a bit to about 24-25 celcius (77-78 f). As far as digital thermometers, they're nice, but not necessary. I'm not sure about the calibration question.

Having fans on during light period is advisable.
I would keep a constant supply of aged water and top off as often as possible to limit drastic swings in salinity.
Is this high temp just because of summer?

Back
Top Bottom