to skim or not to skim

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bschnuck

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a 29 gal SW tank with @40 lbs or live rock and a 3inch sand base running. There is a Magnum 250, and I have a Prism skimmer running on the tank, the basic one, which i realize is not the best, but when it runs it is barely pulling anything out. There are 5 fish in the tank, a chromis, 2 clowns and 2 damsels. I make water changes of 20% every other week. The LFS said the reason i do not appear to be pulling anything out is because of those water changes and im not giving it enough time to develop. Does this make any sense? And if so, does it make sense to still run or have a skimmer.

If the tank is new there may not be much to remove from the tank. I would leave it running, and open the valve some more. I had one of theos and it goes from not collecting anything to almost overflowing in an hour. When it is not collecing much it still has enough gunk around the reaction chamber to make me leave it on

Don't switch it off.. that's a very large bioload in a 29 gal.. just let it run and sort itself out. Keep doing the water changes as you are, and feed sparingly. IMO you don't have much room for error so keep up with your current routine.

Back
Top Bottom