Im not sure what to do about my ammonia and nitrite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

faysalals1

Aquarium Advice Regular
This is my first time getting a fish pet, so I did not know I had to test the water to make sure everything is good. When I tested, Ammonia and Nitrite were high, so I used Seachem Prime & Stability, and did a full water change. Its been 4 weeks and no progress yet! Every time I test it gives me different result that doesnt make sense. I tried everything but its not working! my fish now has fin rot and im treating it.

The weird thing is I bought a new tank with new fish, and the test shows everything is perfect!

Any advice because im not sure what to do anymore, I dont want my fish to suffer, and im tired of trying to figure it out.

This is my first time getting a fish pet, so I did not know I had to test the water to make sure everything is good. When I tested, Ammonia and Nitrite were high, so I used Seachem Prime & Stability, and did a full water change. Its been 4 weeks and no progress yet! Every time I test it gives me different result that doesnt make sense. I tried everything but its not working! my fish now has fin rot and im treating it.

The weird thing is I bought a new tank with new fish, and the test shows everything is perfect!

Any advice because im not sure what to do anymore, I dont want my fish to suffer, and im tired of trying to figure it out.

The whole process is actually easy and pretty straight forward.
So let's start with:
Do you understand the cycling process?

Please post the test results you say don't make sense.

Have you also tested your source water for ammonia/ chloramine and nitrate?

PRIME only lasts 24-48 hours so if you have an ammonia or nitrite reading, water changes are your best options.

(y)

From your first post on the forum, we determined you had an overstocked, too small a tank.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/neon-tetra-died-381601.html

As Andy says, you need to cycle tank. Once its cycled your water parameters will settle down. Until its cycled you need to monitor water parameters and change water every time they get elevated. Cycling a tank typically takes 6 to 8 weeks. But, given you are overstocked and the tank you have is too small for your fish it may be impossible to cycle. At the very least it will be difficult and take a lot of water changes to keep things stable.

You need to go back to that first thread you made and follow up on it. Did you return the neon tetras to the store or get a bigger tank? You will continue to have problems that cant really be solved if you continue to keep fish in unsuitable environments.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom