Toadstool in trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarineFlake

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Someone I know bought a toadstool, a large one, and placed it in their tank. It was in the middle of a shed when he got it so a couple days later it was done sheding. The expectation was that it would then stand upright and extend polyps. However, while some polyps are extending, the TS has begun to lean heavily to one side, almost, if not touching the sand. It has been about a week/week and a half and he is looking for help. The main difference I could tell (Water params are good, othe corals are good) was that the TS was under 440W of VHO in a 75G, now under a pair of 250W MH with VHO/CF in a 240G. *Could* it be that the change in MH is not sitting well with it? Any other ideas? I have exhausted all my possibilities.

Thanks!

It takes time for corals to acclimate to lighting changes. a couple weeks is not uncommon. What about flow changes?

It takes time for corals to acclimate to lighting changes. a couple weeks is not uncommon. What about flow changes?

He said he thought that might be the issue and diverted the flow away from it. I was familiar with this coral b4 he got it and I never saw it bend all the way over. I suggested he cut the MH off and let the VHO/CF run for a couple days/week.

I had the same thing happen to mine when I first got it. Don't worry to much about it as mine took a while to stand straight 24/7.

I noticed the you said lighting just changed in this tank. A good rule of thumb for all softies and most LPS when going from VHO/PC to MH is to put the coral on the bottom of the tank. The VERY bottom of the tank, or close to it. If the coral 'reaches' for more light, move it up a little bit every couple of days. MH is a lot more intense, and that could be the problem. You have to be careful not to give some of these things too much light all at once like that.

Back
Top Bottom