Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2004, 01:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Toadstool Leather Coral question

Hey, my Toadstool Leather Coral has several white spider web looking things hanging off of it, mainly around the trunk. Any ideas?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:10
Alk: 180
PH:8.0
SG: 1.021
Temp: 74 Degrees

1 Clown
1 Yellow Tang
1 Toadstool Leather Coral
3 Turbo Snails
2 Hermit Crabs
1 Xenia
several Mushrooms

55gal FOWLR Bak-Pak w/built in Skimmer, RENA FILSTAR XP3 CANISTER FILTER Coralife 2X65 Coralife Aqualight (130 Watt) 1X15 Coralife Bluelight 30 LBS of LR

Old 03-13-2004, 02:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
Toadstools along with most all other soft leather coral will shed from time to time. It is really nothing to worry about. They will shed on occasion by themselves or when stessed (i.e. when moved, too high of flow, etc.) Your Ph seems a bit low I would try to get that up a bit as well as your SG. Most reefers usually run between .023 and .025 I keep mine a bit on the higher end.

R-

Old 03-13-2004, 02:12 PM   #3

Thanks I will slowly raise thoe levels
Old 03-13-2004, 02:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
I also see you have a filstar canister. What kind of media are you running in the canister? If you have enough LR to support your bioload no media is needed at all in the canister. Depending on what you are running in the filstar thos could explain where your nitrates are coming from. Though 10ppm is within normal limits, zero is preferred.

HTH,
R
Old 03-13-2004, 06:34 PM   #5

This is some 5 hours later and I have just noticed that my Tang's left eye is extrmely cloudy but he is swimming around and appear to be happy, he even has eaten well ( seaweed and frozen brime shrimp). Any ideas?

Tags
coral, eat, leather, toad, tool

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com