Too Much Ca?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stresco

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been switching my Salts from IO to Oceanic of the last 2 months slowly by doing a 2/1 mix of the 2 salts (2 5gal buckets of Oceanic mixed water to 1 5gal bucket of IO). I have been slacking with my testing (bad steve, bad steve) and last night i finally got around to testing my water and this is what i found.
Temp 80F
Amonia 0-25 (expected because i just fed the tank)
Nitrite 0
PH 8.2-8.4 (so hard to tell)
Nitrate 20 (the eel remember)
Alk 11.5
Here is the kicker: Ca 700+

I had to repeat the test twice to make sure i was diong it right. Do you think i should try and raise the Alk to 13 or so till i get the Ca down? How do i go about getting the Ca back down anyway? Is it true that by raising the Alk the Ca will drop?

stresco said:
Is it true that by raising the Alk the Ca will drop?
Depends alot on where the Mg level is but there is a good chance it will ease down the Ca. I would hold off of whatever Ca products you might have been using. If this was soley from the saltmix I would look into a new option. Might simpley be a reaction from mixing the two salts. When switching over to a new brand, only use the one type, not both. Reduce the amount of water normally changed by at least ½ for the first month or more depending on your normal routine.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom