Too much CUC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just upgraded to a 55g and after my killer snail ate most of my cuc it was time to refill the ranks.

I went to reefcleaners and ordered their 25g cleaner pack and 10 assorted hermits.

I now have:
24 dwarf cerith
8 nassaruis
9 florida ceriths
10 nerites
10 misc hermits

I now seem to have an over abundance of crew. LOL Is this normal? The 55g pack of cleaners had like twice as many critters so I went with the smaller crew.

Is this too much for a 55g? They are literally everywhere in my tank now.

PART 2 of this question is the big nasty snails, I think they are nassarius, are all at the water line now, is this what they do? They are stuck on too hard for me to move them back down. lol

Did you start the new 55 with new sand and rock. In other words does your cleanup crew have anything to clean up yet.Otherwise they will end up cleaning themselves up.

I moved the rock over from the 29g. :) I have a slight hair algae issue so there should be plenty for everyone. lol

Your nassarius snails will end up under your sand and only come out when they smell food. That snail pac is okay for your tank. The hermits might eat some of your hair algae, but I dought it.
So leave the snails alone and let them settle in your tank.
after thought: your hermits might eat your snails to get to their shells. So add extra shells slightly bigger then the ones they have now.

Agree... nassarius may come up from the sand from time to time, but they have like no suction ability at all. You'd be able to pull them from the glass with no problem. Sounds like some other type of snail.

Could it be the nerite snails? They are really hard to get off the glass. I have them going inot the skimmer overflow right now. Looks like I'll be babysitting them all night.
lol

I bought 'special' hermits to eat the hair algae, and they don't. They may eat new growths but the don't eat the long stuff and they didn't really make any impact in my tank.

What type of shell? Like chubby pyramid (Well cone-shaped obviously, just from a side/2D perspective) or longer-pointed spiral?

here's some so so photos. They are mostly big and black with barnacles I guess on them.

img_1285698_0_5e315458e127e2980ade4c83f7b24098.jpg

img_1285698_1_25eba242016ccbfa408ef5242927579a.jpg

Umm Ok, like every snail I bought is on my glass heading north. LOL

My water tests fine and the temp is at 78.

Any ideas guys cause some are actually making the tank lip. hehe Not sure what will happen when I go to bed and cant take them down.

I have a similar crew from reefcleaners.org, and they seem to gravitate towards my lights during the day but overnight they all head back down to the substrate. Those are nerites, and they don't need to be babysat. When they get out of the water they will close up, but they will survive (except the one that made it to the floor and got stepped on...). I pick them up from outside surfaces throughout the day, and they slways seem to live.

Those are nerite snails, the only draw backs is they do like to lay eggs which are very hard to remove from the glass and they like to crawl out of the tank. Don't count them out for dead if that happens I just put them in a little tank water and they would start moving around shortly afterwards.

I'm not too sure i like these nerite snails. They are still everywhere. I thought they were sand snails?

It must be the time of the year or something because all my turbos are doing the same thing and they've never done that!!

One was out the water and on the plastic last night, I had to put him back in.

They all spawned around the same time a few weeks back, it could be a 'cycle'?

I'm pretty sure only nassarius are the ones that turn the sandbed over

Last edited:
I think its the dwarf ceriths that are all migrating to the top. I also think the big black ones are the nerites. I only got 4 different kinds of crew lol. Just wish they would stay in the tank...

Back
Top Bottom