Stinky tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clentipo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay just to give a bit of background. I have 2 10 gallon aquariums. One is a planted tank the other is not. The tank that stinks is my non planted tank. Its about 2 months old yesterday I noticed a really bad sulfur smell coming from the tank. In the tank i have a betta, a black skirt tetra, a barb, and two glo tetras, with two nerite snails. My first thought was a snail died because they get pretty rank when they croak. However, all critters were accounted for. So i did some research and found that there may be a chemical imbalance and it was recommended to clean the filters, decorations, gravel, and glass.

So i removed the fish and cleaned the entire tank which now restarts my cycle. I use Seachem Prime to treat the water. Every water change which i do 25% weekly Ill fill the cap to the first thread and add it.

Well today I went to a local pet store and was talking to a guy there about it. He stated that I was using too much Prime. Im not an expert on it but from my understanding you cant really use too much Prime.

After I did the 100% water change I added one capful of prime to treat the water. The smell went away but today it is beginning to return. Im at a complete loss and dont want to harm any of my critters. Any advice on what is going on what should be done. I took an extra measure today. I couldnt get a bigger filter, so I added a second filter for a 10 gallong tank, hoping extra filtration would help out.

Not sure what's going on in that tank but for starters, a cap full of Prime is a lot more than needed for 10g !

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I don't know how many drops are in a capful, but a sufficient dosage is 2 drops per gallon. In higher concentrations it will be smelly. And possibly harmful to the inhabitants.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well it states on the bottle that up to 5 times the normal dose may be used. But i do see the connection between using that amount and me getting the smell from the tank. So for that tank ive just switched to API water conditioner for when I do my water changes.

The local pet store also told me to stop water changed for about 3 weeks. Seeing as how I have inhabitents I dont think thats a good idea especially seeing as how I restarted my cycle. I just performed a 10% water change and Im keeping an eye on parameters and will only use prime if necessary.

Well it states on the bottle that up to 5 times the normal dose may be used. But i do see the connection between using that amount and me getting the smell from the tank. So for that tank ive just switched to API water conditioner for when I do my water changes.

The local pet store also told me to stop water changed for about 3 weeks. Seeing as how I have inhabitents I dont think thats a good idea especially seeing as how I restarted my cycle. I just performed a 10% water change and Im keeping an eye on parameters and will only use prime if necessary.

What ornaments/hardscape do you have in that tank?

I have three fake plants, a small piece of driftwood a few stones that range from the size of a quarter to a little smaller than a 50 cent piece. Then your normal equipment, heater, thermometer, airstone, filter. The substrate is just you nor.al aquarium gravel.

I have three fake plants, a small piece of driftwood a few stones that range from the size of a quarter to a little smaller than a 50 cent piece. Then your normal equipment, heater, thermometer, airstone, filter. The substrate is just you nor.al aquarium gravel.

I was gonna say hardscape can trap detritus that if left to long can sometimes smell but it's usually the fake stuff that does that.

Back
Top Bottom