Too much lighting or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smokiums

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've recently purchased two 250watt 12K MH coralvue kits for my 72bow, which currently has CSL 4x65.

One of my very "Knowledgeable" LFS, (I mean that serious) suggested that I run all my lights and not just the MH. That's over 10.5 watts per gallon.

Is that too much?

I've recently purchased two 250watt 12K MH coralvue kits for my 72bow
One of my very "Knowledgeable" LFS, (I mean that serious) suggested that I run all my lights and not just the MH. That's over 10.5 watts per gallon.

First...WPG does not apply to MH and is a poor measure in other lighting applications. I concur with your LFS, run both MHs and the 4 pc's. I run a 175W MH and 2 X 28W pc's on my 20g nano reef, no I don't think yours will be too much ;)

Excellent. It's going to fun building a nice canopy for all those lights, but I'm going to hate tearing apart my CSL hood.

Seen any nice canopys? And, how would you run the light, after I acclimate the MH? Right now I have my actinics coming on at 9am running till 11pm and my daylights from 10am till 10pm. After all that my eco lights turns on.

Thanks.

I would run the actinics 12 hours and the MHs 8-10 hours. Rather than using a photoperiod acclimation, you can buy plastic window screen and place layers over the top of the tank, removing a layer once or twice per week.

OK. How about this.

Actinics from 9am-9pm
2x65 daylight from 10am-8pm
MH from 11am-7:30pm

What do you think?

BTW: I saw some of you pics on another post. Very nice.

reefrunner69 said:
WPG does not apply to MH and is a poor measure in other lighting applications.

*raises hand from the back of the room and looks confused*

I thought I was all straight hip cool with measuring by WPG, could you "enlighten" me on this subject... LOL

I am guessing WPG isn't a good measure because of the widely varying types of light or..............? :?

I am guessing WPG isn't a good measure because of the widely varying types of light or..............?

Yes, as the efficiency or the lamps and ballasts has inceased and the differences in types of lighting and bulb configuration....the WPG (started for FW planted tanks using NO lamps) has gone down the toilet. First watts is a measure of electrical consumption, not light output. If all lamps were created equal that still might be ok...but they are not. In the above reference, to measure MH in WPG on a tank longer than 2ft (the effective range of the halide) you have to split it in half, and it still isn't very good.

Understood. Also stuff like restrike and all the other factors.

Thanks for the update on that..... :)

Just curious what you are trying to keep in the tank? If not anything like SPS or clams then the extra light may must be extra $$ on electricity unless you really like the look.

Back
Top Bottom