triggers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Other than a Midnight snack that my Huma made out of a flame angel, hes gotten along with puffers, cowfish, lionfish, and a tang.

Dont get a trigger if you ever want LR or inverts of any kind and dont ever stick your finger in the tank unless you know exactly where he is!!!!!

Are there nay type of good clean up critters that do go well with Triggers?

IMO I think it depends on the type of Trigger you are thinking of getting. If you want to try to mix it a variety of other species, I would consider a Niger as they are considerable less aggressive then other triggers (like the clown, undulated, and Humu). I have a Niger that has been quite happy in a tank that has alot of live rock, as well as anemones and a star fish.

As far as clean up crews go..... That is probably not going to happen. Triggers are curious, and love to move gravel and landscape around as a daily routine. This makes it almost impossible for them to not find any "crew" that is in your tank. You may get lucky and it will leave them alone, but I would try some inexpensive things first to be sure. I have heard that some people have luck with serpent stars and triggers because they are uncomfortable to eat.... have not tried it though.

Good luck

Triggers

I have a trigger that get's along with all my fish. It's a Huma and it's about 4 inches. I also have an orange linkia starfish, took a small bite off the end of an arm the first week I had the star. The starfish is healed and it's been 2 months since and now the trigger will be right next to the star and acts like it's of no interest.

I also have hermits and an emerald crab, the emerald stays out of sight during the day and as soon as my actinic goes off the huma goes to bed.

I think huma triggers are one of the more peaceful, very intelligent and curious. My trigger will watch me as I sit on the couch. When I put finger up near the tank the trigger swims towards it and get's very deep in color, I thinks it knows I will give him a treat, which I sometimes do.

I have a humu and he gets along with my Velvet damsel and My Dog Faced Puffer.. He did kill a volitan Lion that was 3x his size... I have no fear with my hand going in the tank..
Dont get a trigger if you ever want LR or inverts of any kind and dont ever stick your finger in the tank unless you know exactly where he is!!!!!
The LR will be fine... Inverts are fair game though... Hands.. Well He has never come near my Hand.. My damsel On the other hand is Extremely mean and will draw blood... For tank mates I would do other triggers and puffers.. Triggers wont eat Xenia either.. Atleast mine didnt.. My DF puffer does eat anemones though..

HTH,
James

I guess I just got a mean Huma. He bites me every chance he gets. I bought a few pounds of LR a while ago and it didnt take him any time at all to get rid of everything on the surface. I also tried adding a hermit and it only took a couple of days before there was nothing left but legs and a shell.

As far as personality, he is my favorite fish. If he would stop biting me and stop trying to bury everyting in the tank he would be my all around favorite fish!!!

Boy I don't feel so bad now. I got bit last night for the first time by my humu. What a suprise!!! Mine also love to landscape my tank. I have a humu and a niger and they have nearly dug 3" sand be down to glass in some areas of the tank. :evil:
I try to move gravel back, next morning it moved again. I give up. Mark one win up for fish.

I have a Fuzzy Dwarf Lion,Yellow Tang,Lunar Wrasse and 2 dameselfisn in with my Huma and they get along just fine.

I feed mine live rosie reds from time to time, that seems to be his favorite treat.

Back
Top Bottom