Tropical Storm Sparky!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sparky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, I have removed 1/3 of my CC substrate, and have placed 100 pounds of Tropical sand in it's place. Does the tank get so cloudy that you can't see inside? I got my filters off and all the pumps so the water isn't moving around too much. Hopefully this will let the sand settle a bit. How long does it take to settle and when should I turn my filters back on?

I still have to do this 2 more times. I got another 200 pounds to put in yet. I read on this forum in the articles to wait about 2-3 weeks before doing the next section. This way I can colonize the sand before taking out more of the CC. This is right..right? I sure hope the clown fish will forgive me, but tropical storms really do happen don't they..LOL

I live in the midwest so I have never seen a tropical storm except on TV.

I will post a picture later of the storm, I took one just for the sake of having one. I don't know why I just did.

Mike

i agree your pumps and filters will help to filter out the fine particles that are making it so cloudy.
good luck,
Mermaid

Heres a pic of the storm just after it started. I can't believe how cloudy it was. Is this normal?

Mike

that is what my tnk looked like when i set it up with sand. As the bacteria colonizes on the sand it will help bind the smaller particles of sand, or make them heavier so they settle quicker.
If you have 2 more times to do this I would try to give the sand a jump start. could you rinse the sand well, put it in a rubermaid tub with a ph and a heater and then add cc from main tank to help start the bacteria? This way when you add it to the display tank the sand will settle quicker?
I haven't tried this, but just a thought

HOLY SNAPS!!! Thats a hell of a storm. Any fish in there? I have heard that using a pvc pipe to pour the sand into a little at a time will reduce the sand storm. I would think 3" pipe long enough to hit the bottom would work. I would also wet the sand first to help cut down on the dust. JMO..... Hell it can't make it any worse.

Back
Top Bottom