Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-13-2003, 03:07 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to kribbz
i have two tank raised tomatoes and they hosted my Bulb tipped anemone whithin a few days of placing it in my tank. thats just my experience though. also as far as tank raised specimens. i would imagine that it would make the animal a little more hardy because it has adapted to some of the common aquarium diseases. please correct me if i'm wrong though. this is just my understanding.

Old 02-13-2003, 03:15 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I avocate if at all possible to purchase tank rased specimens. Be that fish or coral frags. Purchasing coral frags or even trading coral frags is a great way to get new corals and in that purchase/trade there is no negitive impact on the coral reef. Since your taking a already caught/harvested specimen and then subsequently splitting it off or breeding it so that its children are tank rased not taken from the wild.

Its my goal to contribute to the aquaculture movment by avocating such conservation methods and also participate in selling/trading of coral frags myself.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 03:31 PM   #13

I am seeing things in the same way, I would like to say that if I had not already purchased the clowns, it would have been better.

I used to be a commercial fisherman and I know what it is like to destroy wild life in the ocean. then again, there are degrees in how much you can take from the Ocean and not create a devestating impact. Both deal with monetary value and sad to say it will not stop. I do not work for Green Peace and I will not go into anymore discussion about Tank raised or wild. It really is a mute point. My fish will hopefully be ok and things will work out. Again I thank you for the re-assurance on the fish.....
Old 02-13-2003, 04:46 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Hey Tim, I won't get into the TR V WC debate (from your posts it seems like you've had enough), I would like to know how large the clowns are?? Adult WC fish, tend to have a harder time acclimating to new diets...sometimes starving themselves. Not to scare you too bad, I have not known this to be as prevelant in clowns as in other species, but I have seen it.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 09:26 PM   #15

I would say about an inch or inch and a quarter. They still won't eat and I am kinda sad for them, I sure hope they come around and make me feel better.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:31 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

I'd say they have an excellent chance of taking to a new diet at that relatively small size.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 09:41 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I just want to go on record and say that I was in no way judging timbo2 about teh whole tank rased vs wild caught items.

I was more directing my comments toward what the LFS had reported said.

With that said I agree they have a good chance of comming out of this just give them time.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 09:52 PM   #18

I know you were not judging me, I felt bad enough to hear all of the Safe the Reef stuff. I am an advocate of keeping our natural reefs and the ecosystem alive.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:44 PM   #19

OK, going on 7 days now and no eat.....don't know what to do. They are looking kinda frail..Sunken bellies and such.. So sad....
Old 02-17-2003, 11:53 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Have you asked the store where you bought them, what they were feeding them? Did you see the ones at the store eat?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com