True Perculas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
These were special order...I picked them up and acclimated them in my tank they never made it out of the shipping bag. No clue as to what they were eating if they were eating at all. These are not tank raised... :cry:

Well, 1 down and one to go,,,,crab had a good meal... the other one is skimpy now and frail...He is next. I prefer that if he is going, to go naturally. I thought of flushing him but just sounds so terrible..I did get 2 new ones and they are from what I understand, tank raised. Funny thing is, they ate very little in front of me at the LFS, and at home they are not eating at all yet.. ????? Clowns are starting to show me that they are not the fish for me....All the others are fine and eat rather well...Hmmmmmm,,,more like ARRRGHHH :evil: :lol: :oops: :cry: all mixed up..

Well, I got home today and two clowns dead..the last one of the first batch and one of the 2 new ones... Strange thing is, Coral Beauty, Watchman Goby and the Bangaii Cardinal are fine,,,no siigns of stress or disease... I removed the other clown and placed him in a 10 gal Hospital tank because he looks to have 2 spots that are white and raised... He is not eating either....I guess Clowns are not for me... :cry:

Greetings.

Did you ever saw the other fishes chasing the clowns either during the day or during lights off?

If they were a special order and the clown were not tank raised I think that they must have been so stressed out, and that is probably why they aren't eating and dying.

Since we don't know how the fishes that just arrived at the LFS have been handled during shipping(fish bag fell on the floor, the box fell or was thrown, etc.), that can cause a lot of stress to the fish.

I tend to ask the LFS when they will be getting livestock and I wait a week after the day that the livestock arrived so that I don't get really stressed out fish and lessen the chances of fish dying in my tanks.

I spend almost near an hour looking at the fish that I plan to buy for any signs of disease or stress, etc.

Did you put the new clowns in anQ-tank or right into your main? A Q-tank will at least let them get a bit settled before possibly having to battle for territory with established fish.

Let us know how your hospital tank clown is doing.

Nothing worse that having the excitment of a new fish dashed by having them die off. :cry:

Did you put the new clowns in anQ-tank or right into your main? A Q-tank will at least let them get a bit settled before possibly having to battle for territory with established fish.

In the main tank, however, suprisingly, I never saw a fight, nor even a nip...the other fish went about their business as usual...the clowns found there corner and seemed to be ok wriggling like worms....I kept as close eye to them as possible and saw nothing worth noting..

Nothing worse that having the excitment of a new fish dashed by having them die off.

Isn't that the truth, was scared when the LFS offered me the Bangaii Cardinal because of this and it eats more than the Angel and the Goby together...Hmmm..

Like I said before, the Percs are cute and comical to watch but they must not be for me.. :cry:

Well, all clowns are dead and gone...last one died today... strange...4 clowns, 2 different shipments, no clowns live...I find it sooo wierd that the other fish are fine... oh, well, no more percs. no more fish from that store either....I found out today, that they are dosing the refugium that feeds into all of the holding tanks with CFX Formalin...I don't know to what strength, however, I don't think that is cool...I went in there yesterday and I happened to look this time for any unusual things with their tanks and I counted 7 dead fish...some Tangs, Butterfly's and a Grouper...Dead...Bad news for any potential buyer...It showed me that they do not care for the fish that they sell...I find that strange though, because they have to pay for those fish also...it may not be as much as we pay for them, but it is still waisted money to not take care of them...I am kind of peaved at this...Now I have to make my way to the next LFS to if they will be any better...

It is a form of copper treatment that you use for parasites..Such as ICH and other diseases

It is a form of copper treatment that you use for parasites

Unless it is a mixture, it is not copper based. Formalin is the active ingredient in fomaldahyde, and it is used in SW disease treatment as an anti parasitic. There is alot of debate about whether fish should be prophylactically treated for parasites and common bacterial infections. I am not a fan of prophylactic treatment, but I can see an LFSs point, they do spend alot of money on these fish and some parasites will kill the fish before it is noticed by staff that are busy doing their other duties. This is just another reason for a q-tank, so you can observe the fish and then treat as needed. Also the fish at the LFS may be infected, but the treatment is only half done, and when you purchase the fish the signs are masked.

On another note I am an advocate of treating all WC clowns with formalin for the prevention of brooklynella. This parasite is very fast acting and is possibly the leading cause of deaths in newly caught WC clowns.

Kev,

I looked at the bottle of this CFX stuff and it says Copper Formalin Treatment..

Is this what you mean by mixture?

As a retailer I would stock tank raised fish over WC anyday. The difference in survival rate is amazing, especially with Perc's. It may take a little more time but I have had tank raised clowns take on an anemone as a host many times. The ones in the wild have to at some point learn or insticntively realize that they can use anemones as a host so would the same not hold true for their tank raised counterparts? They all figure it out eventually regardless of their origin. Sometimes it just takes a little longer.

Back
Top Bottom