Two or Three More fish for my 23.8g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mitchell0605

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi Guys,
I've got my lovely little 23.8G (90L) reef sitting in front of me with:
A Black Ocellaris
A Six-Line Wrasse
A Chromis
And now I want to finish it off with two or three more fish after sadly losing my Scooter Blenny to the suction of a PH. :(

I've been looking at Live Aquaria as a reference site since I can't order from there and I'm think about:
A Neon Goby
A Firefish Goby
And.....

So I need some help with the last one. It was gonna be a Royal Gramma but then I found out they are $140AUD. Although I could probably get it for $110-120AUD cause I'm a regular and did 2 weeks work experience there. It's still on the table, just to the side. Almost off the table to the side. ;)
Thanks Guys. :)

Hi Mitchell, six line wrasse like to jump so make sure you have a lid of some sort on your tank. I made a netting in a screen frame and that works great except it becomes a pain when you want to feed your tank.

I'm still newish to sw but I personally wouldn't put more than 1 more fish in there, since its 24 gallons. The fish you have now get to a good size for a 24g IMO, so maybe 1 more small fish will stock the tank. Either the Neon Goby or the Firefish would be a good choice. I've been told that a single firefish sometimes shys away...so maybe the Neon Goby would be a better choice. I haven't kept one of those, so I'm not sure how they act. You could do the Royal Gramma instead of the Goby too, if you like them.....it would add some nice color. I'm sure other people will chime in.

edit: I changed the name of your thread so it would draw more people in. :)

I personally think you are close to the limit. One more would definitely be the limit IMO.

wow, royal grammas are cheap here in FL. I would try to find something more native to you in Aus. possibly some sort of eel?

Really... don't do the Royal Gramma. If you were here in the States and could pick one up for $20, then no big deal. But for $140, I wouldn't go there. They are definitely beautiful fish, but they hide alot and are definitely not very social. I tried to get one when I started my tank, but I couldn't get one out of my quarantine tank alive. And now that I know more about them, I soooo glad I gave up on them and didn't add one to my tank.

I'm conservative around here it seems, when it comes to stocking levels, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that I think you're pretty much at your limit now. But if you MUST have another fish... how about a little Yellow Clown Goby. They add nothing to the bioload really, and are all over the tank... perching on everything. They are really a fun fish to have.

Thanks Kurt. I do like those little guys. And they are cheap as chips (well the good chips :rolleyes:). They are rather tiny sure I can't get half a dozen? ;)

Definitely +1 on the Yellow Clown Goby. Love those little fish. The owner of my nearest LFS has one in the store tank and that fish is always out and about. I plan to get one when i start my next tank. My votes on the clown goby. They have other colors too..

Back
Top Bottom