U/G Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

craig10

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Since I don't see anyone talking about it, can I assume that Undergravel Filters for Saltwater are a thing of the pass?

they weren't even a has been.. there a never was. :)

actually never heard of it cause u would be basically sucking sand up as good sa u do with water.. ahah but ye dun use one.

Jacob

UGF's where the filter recommendation in the past. In fact I think kevin will tell you his first saltwater tank was setup with a UGF back in the day.

As jacob metioned they are not desirable as the CC or sand particles will clog the slits in the filter eventually and thus negate their usefulness since they need water flow to work effectivly.

A DSB and 1 - 1.5lbs of LR per gal is really all the filter you need.

I imagine kevin had CC with a UGF(no?)... I just can't see a UGF function period with a DSB..

Jacob

they weren't even a has been.. there a never was.

well, thats not quite true. :wink: There are many of us who have used a UGF in the early SW days. Not that I would suggest one today. They are old school. With the advances that have been made in the SW hobby they are now not used very often.

And yes I used a UGF with CC. Not the best setup but if ran correctly can be done. But as with everything in this hobby there is not just one way.

I would suggest not using the UGF. GO DSB and LR keep it simple, I always say.

i misread i thought he meant with a DSB... not CC or DSB.... now DSB i just see it impossible..

Dante

UGF's

Undergravel filter plates make great 100 yard rifle targets :) Go with the DSB and live rock. Add a skimmer if you wish, but don't bother with the UGF.
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom