unclear tankkk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ektorgt

Aquarium Advice Regular
i added the playsand and water and its all cloudy

how long will it take to clear or settle

or will it stay like thatt....

i thought i didnt had to clean the sand.....

I read somewhere on this forum that you should clean it first for that very reason. After about a few weeks it should clear up as bacteria attaches itself to the particals and they settle. That is what I read.

ektorgt said:
i thought i didnt had to clean the sand.....
You didn't, there's no need nor should it be encouraged. You'll get much more use of the smaller particles (dust) with increased surface area than you will have if you cleaned it.

FWIW, you still have to cycle the tank (4ish weeks) so what's a few days? :wink:

Cheers
Steve

ektorgt said:
alright so should i add the salt and put up the filters to start running and everything???
No reason not to get everything on the go. You can also start the cycle.

Cheers
Steve

You don't have to have the powerheads pointing towards the sand. I have mine pointing upward to break the waters surface, that helps with gas exchange and getting more oxygen in the water.

Over time, I'm changing out my stupid gravel that the Concord fish store sold me when I asked for reef aragonite, which I've since found should have been sand... anyway, each time I replace a section of gravel with sand, I have a cloudy tank for at least 24 hours. It will settle eventually.

I have to ask....what is the deal with people adding extra letters all over the place?
I have noticed that a few have been doing this alot of late.
Is this supposed to be cool, spiffy, whatever?
I can't help but think that good information that might show up in a search, will get lost as the key words won't get picked up.

cover the sand with large garbage bags and place a bowl on the bags, fill the tank by poring the water into the bowl. After awhile the bags will start to float, just leave them till the tank is full then remove slowly.
You will have very little if any sand storm. I have used this method several times and it works well.

I like that information right Thurrrrrrrr <---LOL just messing with Hara.

I am setting up a 2nd SW tank for my parents and will be bagging the sand when I fill it up. I have also heard you can lay a pizza pan down on the sand and slowly pour the water on it till you get enough water in the sand won't stir.

put the sand in the tank and level it off then place a garbage bag on top of the sand and gently fill with water.... the ba will prevent the water your adding from stirring the sand. Clear tank when done.

i have to same problem 20 hrs had passed since i added water and salt and sand and had the filters on and its still a lil foggy should i add the liverock and start the cycle enyway?

It'll be foggy for awhile until all the dust particles settle down. Then add your LR to start your cycle.

Back
Top Bottom