Unidentified skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loganj

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here is the skimmer than I got with the 110g tank. It says Hydro Skimmer at the bottom. I can't find anything else on it. It is made from 6" PVC and stands, including the collection cup, 29" tall. I got a Mag 12 with it so I assume that is what they were running it with. I was wondering if anyone was familiar with this skimmer or had ever seen one like it. The collection cup (see pic) is unlike any I have ever seen. There is no shelf or collection area...just a 1" pipe coming out the top that goes to a container. Not sure how well this is gonna work. I'm wondering if I need to make a shelf in there that slopes down to the drain? Any ideas?
Logan J

just a 1" pipe coming out the top that goes to a container
The container isn't in the pic(?).
Where is the venturi?
Which end does the water go in, the bottom?
The foam collector should work fine. A mag 12 should really kick it in the pants.

Container is a 2 gal bucket. No venturi...have to either order or build one. Water goes in the top. Inside the 6" pvc is a piece of 3". The elbow at the top is attached to a piece of acrylic tubing that goes to the bottom inside the 3" pipe. It's what you'd call a double pass I guess. The more I look at the darn thing, the more I think it was homemade.
Logan J

I think its a DIY job also logan. I did a google search for "Hydro Skimmer" and the only thing I turned up in any great quantity is a bunch of pool and spa skimmers.

Kent makes an excellent venturi that should cause this thing to foam out of control. :D
http://www.bigalsonline.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi is a 1/2" one ($15). They make a 3/4" that would work better for you but BigAl's doesn't carry it. They carry one called a Kent Massei venturi that is considerably more expensive ($120). It is made of ozone resistant kynar which explains it's high cost. You can get by with the cheaper 3/4" one if you can find it. I know they make it because it's on Kent's web page http://www.kentmarine.com/vv.html

I was wondering about the Kent venturis. I can get one through one of the wholesalers we use at the store. I think I saw both the 1/2 and the 3/4 in the Dr. Foster catalog too. I bought some fittings today to attempt to build one. Not sure how that will go :? . Probably, after I waste a day or two fooling with the darn thing, and end up throwing it in the growing pile of "things that don't work" in my shop, I'll order one :) . If this skimmer does work well, I'll post a "how to" on building one...it would be pretty easy I think.
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom