Upgrading in July - but buying now.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BillyD918

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok everyone I want to upgrade my tank from a 29 gallon tall hex tank to a tank thats at least 6' long. Im thinking of a 125gal but maybe yall have better advice for me. The upgraded tank is gonna be a reef tank with a few fish around. Any advice on what size tank and where to buy from would be greatly appreciated.

You have plenty of time so I'd start trolling craigslist. You might wait a while but you find the best setup eventually. Oh and did i mention you'll pay like nothing sometimes? LOL

Good Luck!

I would really like some more opinions on what size tank would be best if i wanted a 6' tank. And also, the best place to buy from?

125 & Craigslist. I found a complete system w Livestock for 550 in NC.

You should be able to find a full setup with equipment for around $500 if you look hard enough. My recco is to buy equipment only. Moving livestock w/ the tank is a PAIN. At least if you get just the equipment, you can slowly move it or rent a van and move it without worrying about livestock dying.

Depends on your preference. I was happy with my 155 since it had a bowed front. Again, a matter of preference. If you do that, or 180 (a 55g without the bow front), or 210, your reef lighting may cost more since they are deeper than a 125. I did the 155g with coralife retrofti in a hood. Had 3x150 metal halides and 4x95 actinic. That fixture costs over a grand. A 125g reef can do well with half that cost.

Depends on your preference. I was happy with my 155 since it had a bowed front. Again, a matter of preference. If you do that, or 180 (a 55g without the bow front), or 210, your reef lighting may cost more since they are deeper than a 125. I did the 155g with coralife retrofti in a hood. Had 3x150 metal halides and 4x95 actinic. That fixture costs over a grand. A 125g reef can do well with half that cost.

Ok I was looking at 125gal ones, I really want a Reef Ready with drilled and everything. All the ones im finding on craigslist are to small cause i really want a 6' long tank, but ill keep on looking on there cause like i said i won't be able to do anything until July when we move into our new place. I'm also looking into getting LED's for this setup, I know their a little pricey but i like the overall look and color with them. Still always appreciate ya'lls opinions. Anymore suggestions are greatly appreciated also.

Look into T5 lighting.

I have a 28" T5 HO light with 2 10k white's, 2 actinic blue's and 4 blue leds. I know that definitely wouldnt be enough for a 6' long tank so I might do a mixture of T5's and add leds for coloring.

I have a 125g with a coralife elite pro series fixture it has 3x250w MH and 4x96w true atinics with built in fans it's an awesome fixture I can put anything I want in the tank with this fixture paid 800.00 for it worth every penny

I have a 125g with a coralife elite pro series fixture it has 3x250w MH and 4x96w true atinics with built in fans it's an awesome fixture I can put anything I want in the tank with this fixture paid 800.00 for it worth every penny

Where did you get your tank from? I've been searching through craigslist everyday, and im wondering if I dont find what i want on there I was thinking bout buying the tank and building my own stand and canopy thinking that would be cheaper than buying them together. But i know i would like to incorparate some led's at least some blue one for color. Just things that i need to research and get opinions like im doing.

I got it from the LFS here on Spokane , you can get a new drilled 125g tank for 290.00

And prolly pay just as much to have it shipped to FLA. :)

Probably lol, ill keep scouring craigslist while im gone to see if anything pops up. Hopefully something does and theyd be willing to hold it for a little while.

How far did you look on CL? I look in neighboring cities too. I took a 2 hour drive to pick up my 55 and the same for my live rock. I search for fish and aquarium seperately. I just saw a 220 maybe 3 weeks ago for 450 including everything.

Good luck, you will find it! lol

How far did you look on CL? I look in neighboring cities too. I took a 2 hour drive to pick up my 55 and the same for my live rock. I search for fish and aquarium seperately. I just saw a 220 maybe 3 weeks ago for 450 including everything.

Good luck, you will find it! lol

I dont have a truck so if i do find anything on CL then i would have to borrow one of buddies truck to go pick it up. but ive looked from panama city beach to penscola and all the way north to tuscaloosa. keeping an eye out for good deals 24/7 lol...

Pensacola to Tuscaloosa. Sounds like the beginnings of a new song. :)

LOL! like a country song... but anyways I was doing some googling and found a tank that measures 72"L x 18"W x 17"T, it's 100 gallon so im pondering these dimensions, wondering if this tank would be suitable for a blue hippo tang...

Back
Top Bottom