Using a pump for water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLUElobster99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've read online that someone was using a mag18 pump to siphon water from a bucket into their tank. Is the pump designed to do this or would it fail eventually? I also want it to siphon water out of my mixing barrel and into buckets. Both applications would require the pump to pump water upwards about 4 and a half feet. Is this a bad idea?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a fountain pump with a hose attached that works really well to doa quick water change if I don't want to vacuum the gravel. It fills a 5gallon bucket in about 20 seconds. I just unplug it and raise the pump out of the water when the bucket is full. It would work the other way around too, from bucket to tank.

I use a mag 9.5 and have been for a couple years with no failure on the part of the pump.
The pump is made to pump water which is what it does. lol It should be fine and will make water changes soo much easier.

I use a Mag 5 to pump my top offs from the basement to the main floor. And with a couple of valves I can pump rodi into a mixing container on the main floor. The with a few more valves, I use suckion and gravity to syphon my water change water into the basement and down the drain.

I use a mag 5 to transfer water TO my system from the mixing barrel, and an Eheim 1262 to send water from the system to the drain. How else would one move a large amount of water.....buckets?

Does your mixing barrel have wheels? If so where did you get it?

No, but they sell wheels for brute trash cans if need be.....
Rubbermaid-2640-Brute-Trash-Can-Dolly-Black-001.jpg

I have a room behind the tank wall where my barrel is always in plain sight and close to the tank. I use 10' hoses to drain and fill.

I use an Aquatop 400 series to mix and pump out saltwater from my totes to a Rubbermaid trash can. It already has wheels on it. I use a wooden board to use as ramps to get it from the garage to my living room. I use the same one to pump water into the tank. If your tank is upstairs, then sour about that. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Will 1/2 inch tubing work for the mag5?

i have an old marineland pump that i throw in the bucket to pump the water to the tank... just so much easier haha!

Back
Top Bottom