UV -> over-rated or indispensable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

english-nick

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Currently I'm not using any UV sterilization. Would I be well served by impleting some?

Your thoughts, recommendations, personal experiences would be welcome!

Cheers!

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
I have never personally used a UV unit. In terms of priority, I would list it pretty low. They do offer some benefits, but there are other important equipment purchases (like a skimmer and RO/DI unit) that I would put well ahead of UV.

WELCOME TO AA!!

I agree with Lando, they do have some benefits. If you are looking to save some money, go with the befroe mentioned items, add a UV later, if you like.

I put the importance of the UV pretty high. I personally believe every one should have one IMO. But I do agree that the pieces of equipement mentioned by Brian and Scott are more important and should be gotten first. The UV`s importance is based on their ability to get rid of parasites and algea spores that are drawn up in the lighted chamber

after 4 1\2years of keeping fw.... been doing sw for about 6 months and only just got a UV about 3 weeks ago. Not essential, but worth every cent.

Back
Top Bottom