Vermited snail irradication

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darylb

Aquarium Advice Addict
Someone please tell me there's a natural predator against these things there everywhere in my tank

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Good luck with that. Manual removal and/or gluing their trap door shut and lots of time is all one can really do.
I read about some wrasses going after them, but they are far from reef safe or if they'll show any interest...though I don't recall what wrasse was claimed.

hey Daryl , how bad are they , I just got through a big extermination of them ,
The only known creature to eradicate them is the abalone but they very scarce in the aquarium world ,
with my infestation I had to remove all my sand as they took it over I was able to cut my sand into bricks , there was so many it looked like I had a white carpet , I removed brick by brick till all the sand I could get was out , than I had to go back with a plastic putty knife to scrap off around the base of the rocks ,
now if there on the rocks this part really sucks , I only removed the rocks that had a good majority of them scraped them off did a 50/50 dip in peroxide than a dip in clean salt water , with the rocks that had a few i scraped them off as I sucked them out , this is where a helper comes in handy this gives you the advantage of getting them all off as your helper sucks them out , I didn't have that luxury and I kept over flowing my 5 gallon pail , as my attention was on those stupid snails , I now keep a plastic kiddie rake from a kids beach pail set , I rake the sand weekly and if I see any of those stalks I make sure to remove them as I don't plan on doing this again ,
this is what my infestation looked like ,
60069-albums10662-picture68242.jpg

I believe the wrasse hank is thinking of is the coris wrasse , they eat them but not fast enough , coris wrasses are considered not reef safe as they eat shrimp snails hermits even crabs and small fish , reef safe with extreme caution IMO , I have a sweet red coris wrasse in my reef

Thanks guys I might give the abalone a try I can source them pretty easy here. Unfortunately all mine are on the rock work as I don't have a sand bed :( I tried gluing them but the glue wouldn't stick under water. I got some super glue that isn't gel I might see if that will work I got a feeling that they may have annoyed a clam off enough to make it die

the non gel crazy glue will make a big mess in water column
if there in the rocks the abalone may knock over or destroy coral as there really not reef safe but they do wonders on these pests in sand , I keep a meat skewer I made long by connecting a few together, I scrap them off as I see them then suck them out it's a slow tedious process but it works , they were through out my sand and on the rocks ,about under control now but I still find a few here and there I just wipe them out as I find them , they will kill anything they come in contact with so be careful with your coral

I know this thread is alittle old but thought i would add my 2 cents anyway. As was said non gel glue will make a mess if your gonna go the glue route pull the rock out of the water an glue it up keep it out of the water for afew seconds then put it back in. Or..... I had a small infestation awhile back and I got rid of them with a cuticle cutter and a melanarus wrasse ?. The cutters work well just grab down low on the snail and it crushes the shell... The wrasse caught on an each time I exposed the snail he dove in an ate it.

I'll have to look at getting the wrasse I might try cut them out I have been killing the ones I see effecting the corals

Yeah I'm still thinking the same again Iv been crushing the ones that I can follow the web back to.

It takes time. Lots of time. I thought I had solved all issues several times before it finally being over...and even with that said there still might be one. Just can't tell if it is snail's web or such from my large acro colony.

Back
Top Bottom