Very Frustrated...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I hate for this to be a lengthy question but I have to explain. I chnaged my 2 year old 125 tank over to a 100 gallon about 2 months ago. Went from CC to Southdown sand 2-3 inches thick. I have about 100 lbs of LR and added another 35 lbs of base rock as well as 50 lbs of rubble rock into the sump/fuge. (Also the fuge is new too as I have Calupera (sp) growing in there now. In the 125 I NEVER added CA, buffer....nothing. I went from regular FO lighting to VHO (440) watts and immediatelty saw coraline growth that wouldnt stop. In the 125 the lights were about 2 ft off the waters surface.
Now on the 100, the same lighting system is about 2 inches off the waters surface and NO coraline growth at all. As a matter of fact the coraline has faded. All levels are perfect....trates/trites 0, ammonia 0, PH 8-3 to 8-4. AK 2.5, CA 380, phosphates .4 also. However again never monitored the CA or AK in the prev tank. I now have to add kent super buffer each day to keep the PH up. I also add CA daily as well. (seachem)
What can I do to get the coraline growth again? I actually did a water change of about 30-35% when I went from the 125 to the 100. I was told to start using Kalkwasser which I now have but havent used it. I only have 4 small fish and 3 shrimp and 1 anenome.

No worries. When I did a tank swap it took my tank 3 months to start developing coraline again. Keep your levels in check and all should be good.

Well thats good to know. In the previous tank the coraline was groing on the pumps, covering the glass, everywhere!! now-nothing!! Wonder why this is?

Yeah thats what I thought as well..I assume it will come back?

.4 is a fairly high phosphate level, high enough to hinder coralline growth. I would try to get it down to .1 at the highest. Phosphates are one of the biggest detriments to corraline growth.

Well I have brought it down from .6 to .3 over a weeks time but I cant seem to get rid of it totally...How do you get rid of phosphates? What causes them as I never had them in the previous tank? Also I have been using phosphate spounge in a bag and keeping the bag in the sump for 48 hours, then dumping that bag and replacing that bag with a new batch of phosphate granules for 24 hours...am I doing this right?

Back
Top Bottom