Very loud overflow box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djbarnes88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well I am slowly progressing on my first reef tank and I set up my sump. The first question that I have is how do I quiet the overflow box down. As the water spills from one side of the overflow box to the other it kind of sound like Niagara Falls. Is it possible to maybe put a sponge in there or would this restrict the water flow too much?

djbarnes88, there is something you can make called a Duro Standpipe. I justmade mine about 2 days ago, and WOW it is almost silent, here is the link http://www.DursoStandpipes.com so you can make it yourself probably cost you about $10, and 15 mins of your time. Works really well, feel free to email me if you have questions, its still fresh in my mind how I made it so you can ask questions if your stuck, alexhovsepian at earthlink.net

edited email address to discourage spm ;)
reefrunner69

i had the same problem but then i took some tubing and put it in there to make it quite. I waited about 2 weeks and then removed it and now it makes not noise. i had to take a spoon and stick in in there and took it back out to move the flow of water and now the only noise i get is from pumps.

We had the same problems. Considered the durso standpipe, CPR overflows and the Marineland S.O.S (Silent overflow System) Tidepool. Finally put a filter around the drain ands it is quiet.

I have found if i take the sponge off the over flow box then it get quite. Because the water was not falling all around the opening evenly. It was going around about 3/4 of the way and then splashing around and making more noise. You have to get the water to flow evenly around the opening to stop the noise or to make is quite. But that might just be my box.

Back
Top Bottom