vho setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IndyReef

Aquarium Advice Activist
will a vho bulb fit into a standard hang down "shop light", or do you have to buy a special ballast for vho? dont want to spend more cash than i need to

Well I dont know if a VHO bulb will fit into one of those hanging shoplights, but it would be pretty cheap if you could use that as a vho fixture. As for the ballast yes you will have to purchase a special ballast to run vho's. I know Icecap makes a good ballast that runs vho's and pc's depending of wiring, but just do a search for vho ballasts of kits and you should find one that will suit your needs.

The shop light will not fire those bulbs up. Like Lemon says you need a ballast and Icecap are good ones. I have 2 of them on my 125 and they work well.
If you have a FO set up you can get regular URI bulbs that would work in a shop light and give you nice color in the tank.

I have VHO lamps running on a standard ballast. They fire but only run at 20 watts each instead of 75 watts. You need a VHO ballast for the VHO lamps to operate at "full capacity". If you don't have a VHO ballast don't waste money on VHO bulbs :wink:

Back
Top Bottom