Victory!!! (Hunting the Mantis)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpiffyCat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I caught the mantis shrimp that's been terrorizing my tank. He hid in a tunnel in my live rock that had only two entrances. Unfortunately it was the biggest piece, and under a couple of other pieces, but once I cleared the path I was able to pull the whole thing out and get it into a bucket of salt water.

With both hands full I had to figure a way to chase him out, and pouring my RO water out of it's container wasn't an option. The best thing I could come up with was to stick my fish net under one end while running tap water through the other. I was rewarded with the satisfying sight of the shrimp dropping out of the rock and into my net. Quickly putting my live rock back into the bucket of salt water, I then had both hands to transfer the Mantis shrimp into a mason jar filled with salt water. The jar's now inside a styrofoam container in case he's able to break glass.

As for the live rock--what should I do with it now? Will the exposure to tap water make it a hazard to my tank (i.e. can I just put it back?) Also- I'm going to call my lfs to see if they want it, but if they don't are there any suggestions on what I should do with this thing? I had planned on squashing it, but it is a facinating little creature.

Attachments

• mantis_shrimp_004.jpg
    mantis_shrimp_004.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 205
I put my rock right back into my 120 and didn't notice any ill effects. I had gone so far as to pour boiling tap over an aptasia and apart from some die off on the rock, my tank didn't suffer a noticable spike. It was probably 5 of 140# of rock at the time though.

Sell it, on Reef Central their are guys willing to pay good money for them, or trade it for frags with a fish store.

Put the rock back in and I almost forgot, Congratulations on the nice catch.

Back
Top Bottom