Vinyl Tubing vs. PVC pipes for plumbing tanks to the sumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mwilliams

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay guys and gals I need some help here trying to make a decision on my plumbing for my tank and need all the help and advice I can get from everyone:

I have not seen anyone using the vinyl tubing for plumbing on any fish forums is there any special reason as to why no one uses the tubing?

Pro’s & Con’s for Vinyl Tubing pluming parts & prices:

And

Pro’s and Con’s for PVC plumbing parts & prices:

The reason I didn't use it is because of the weight. It was easier for me to use pvc and rest the weight of it on something rather than rely on the bulkheads to hold the weight and potentially break them. It also gets pretty nasty on the inside and looks bad. I did use a very short piece to help with vibration reduction. PVC with unions is the best way to go IMO. Spa flex for the drain is also handy, but not necessary.

I have a piece of flex tubing that goes from my overflow down into my PVC. I had tried to T things off into my dual reactor but it just didn't work out well. So, I redid the entire thing and plumbed my reactor into a pump of its own.

IMO, PVC is generally the way to go. I use a mix of PVC and reinforced vinyl tubing. The vinyl can get crimped or accidentally flattened to the point it restricts water flow and something gets wet. It also looks nasty after a while. PVC is stronger and easier to work with, no band clamps, no push on fittings that leak. I keep a big box of fittings and misc. parts so that I can respond to emergencies that often happen when the hardware store is closed.

Do any of you guys have pics to share? I am trying to see how to hook up either the tubing or pvc to the bulkheads and then down into the sump.

mwilliams said:
Do any of you guys have pics to share? I am trying to see how to hook up either the tubing or pvc to the bulkheads and then down into the sump.

Heres mine

Attachments

• _2.facebook_55152.jpg
    _2.facebook_55152.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 210
  • ForumRunner_20120905_162009.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120905_162009.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 199
I use vinly tubing. And my feelings are that it's faster to setup but then it clogs with algea and u have to wrap it in electrical tape. I'm gonna say PVC is the way to go. Next time I will be taking my own advice

If I end up going with tubing I will probably use the black tubing. It cost a little more. That is if I choose that route.

mwilliams said:
If I end up going with tubing I will probably use the black tubing. It cost a little more. That is if I choose that route.

I used 3/4" for returns 1" for overflows

I only used the pvc glue. The primer helps as it 'softens' the pvc up some for the glue and makes sure that you won't bust a leak. Primer it, glue it, stick the pvc in and give it a quarter twist. Done and done.

Always use the primer. Work fast and clean and it will never leak. Just don't pull on the plumbing as you can crack it, especially when it gets old.

Well I've done a lot of PVC work but didn't know if the glue was safe to use on aquariums but then again we drink it do I guess it would be fine...

Just let the glue cure before running water thru it. Anything that is used for potable water sources is probably fine for aquarium use.

I always use PVC glue and primer that is safe for potable water. It will specify on the can what it can be used for. And +1 to letting it dry completely.

I'm guessing it's probably better to use 45's instead of 90's where possible...

45's are better than 90's as a 90 will restrict the flow some. 45's don't restrict the flow as much. I have a few 90's on mine but depending on your return will basically only add head pressure. I do not know the calculations. I have a little giant return pump 4-mdqx-sc and still have to dial it back with a quarter turn ball valve down stream of the pump.

Back
Top Bottom