Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2011, 04:05 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice FINatic

salinity, you'll want a refractometer not a hydrometer. More accurate, less to go wrong.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:07 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxb161
salinity, you'll want a refractometer not a hydrometer. More accurate, less to go wrong.
ikno that much but all the salt brands and how are they diiffernt etc its confuseing

Sent from my Vortex using Aquarium

xxwolfpackof1xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:12 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah, I've used two kinds, to be honest I'd have to go in the back room to tell you what I use now :p I think there is thread on this forum right now asking about which is the best. It'll come down to picking one, and if your livestock is thriving you'll keep with it. 1.026 is a good reef level. Basically you'll add 1/2c for every gallon (for mine at least to get 1.025) and adjust accordingly. Did anyone mention R/O DI water? I have my own filter, just got done "making some water" a little bit ago. I store mine in 5G jugs until I'm ready to mix it. You'll use a heater and PH to allow your salt to mix for 24hours. I've been known not towait 24hours, but you really should. Also top offs, you'll need to keep your level up to keep your salinity stable. Top offs are done with R/O DI water, not saltwater.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxb161
Yeah, I've used two kinds, to be honest I'd have to go in the back room to tell you what I use now :p I think there is thread on this forum right now asking about which is the best. It'll come down to picking one, and if your livestock is thriving you'll keep with it. 1.026 is a good reef level. Basically you'll add 1/2c for every gallon (for mine at least to get 1.025) and adjust accordingly. Did anyone mention R/O DI water? I have my own filter, just got done "making some water" a little bit ago. I store mine in 5G jugs until I'm ready to mix it. You'll use a heater and PH to allow your salt to mix for 24hours. I've been known not towait 24hours, but you really should. Also top offs, you'll need to keep your level up to keep your salinity stable. Top offs are done with R/O DI water, not saltwater.
r/o reverse osomosis is it nessacsry whats wrong with tap water?

Old 03-13-2011, 04:22 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

I learned to always dip the corals even at LFS you can pick up flatworms or red bugs. I went to a house last week the guy had 3 wrasses in it and a dragnet. That told me he probably didn't have flatworms I got some sps and I was able to see if there was anything in the tank that might be bothering them like red bugs. I didn't see any aiptasia either. No algae in his DT since he had a fox face. I was able to ask about the SG, dosing and about anything else I could think of. For me his tank had to many fish but it didn't effect the quality of it.

If you are going to go with a reef tank get something made for reef tanks like Reef Crystals. Most are the same. I got this really expensive brand to try on one tank just to compare and it didn't change anything in the tank so I am back to buying Reef Crystals.

Use RO water when you start your tank too. Top off with fresh RO water to. That will help keep the algae down from the begging.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:27 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Test your tap water. Most contain ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, copper, phosphates, other metals. All are bad for your reef. You'll end up with lots of algae issues from excess nutrients, and the other stuff will help crash your system in time.
I've never dipped anything, but that's just me.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:32 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

nx if my water has no copper is it ok to use? i understand algae may b a issue but just scrape it off becaude isn't R/O expnsive

Old 03-13-2011, 04:37 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hey, its up to you, but it is more than scraping it off the glass, it will cover your sand, rocks, crowd your coral. Cyano bacteria & Hair Algae is not fun....
Don't let anyone fool you into thinking there is a magic CUC that will take care of the algae either. It is cheaper to buy your own system to filter the water then buying the RODI water in the long run.
I don't know what all you'd want to test, it'd be more than just copper.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:52 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

how much is a r/o filter?

Old 03-13-2011, 04:56 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It depends on what you want to spend, mine was $150 from P U R E W A T E R C L U B

You'll have to test now and again to see when you need to replace the filters as well.

I actually just tested my RODI water today. Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate all zero still

Tags
coral, invert, start, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com