want to start a 10g coral/invert tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those are neat, most polyps would do well with T5HO. They'll spread on a rock, but I wouldn't consider them invasive at all. I like to get a frag, and let the colony grow itself.

nxb161 said:
Those are neat, most polyps would do well with T5HO. They'll spread on a rock, but I wouldn't consider them invasive at all. I like to get a frag, and let the colony grow itself.

these all caught my eye and these are all i like aand within price range

Sent from my Vortex using Aquarium

I don't know about the neon pineapple tree but I see it is in the same family of the Kenya Tree. The kenya tree some people will say is invasive. Mine has dropped a branch and a new one has grown from it. I've fragged mine on purpose because I like it. In a 10G that might be an issue is this acts the same. Leathers, most polyps, and mushrooms should be fine. Leathers will grow and easily trimmed back if it gets too big. Too bad you don't have a local place to sell it to. Mushrooms you can frag as well, some as easily as tearing them from one spot and attaching to another. One will grow from the spot you took it. Not invasive in my opinion.

nxb161 said:
I don't know about the neon pineapple tree but I see it is in the same family of the Kenya Tree. The kenya tree some people will say is invasive. Mine has dropped a branch and a new one has grown from it. I've fragged mine on purpose because I like it. In a 10G that might be an issue is this acts the same. Leathers, most polyps, and mushrooms should be fine. Leathers will grow and easily trimmed back if it gets too big. Too bad you don't have a local place to sell it to. Mushrooms you can frag as well, some as easily as tearing them from one spot and attaching to another. One will grow from the spot you took it. Not invasive in my opinion.

hmm il stick to the mushroom how about that green duncan? i likr the look its low flow peaceful

the live rock is way to expensive could i buy cheap dry rock some where?

Reefcleaners.org and marcos rocks that sponsor this site sell some great rock for low prices, and I'm not just saying that.

As for a T5HO fixture look into the Current USA Nova Extreme 2-bulb fixture, a low price and it'll keep what you've listed as far as corals.

Buying online the shipping is around $35, but you get it the next day. Liveaquaria, and bluezooaquatics are places I've heard good things about.

nx sweet site for rock thnks now about t5h0 fixtures what exatly are they in comparison from a stock hood?

Longer bulbs, more powerful. In terms of what you could keep? Bulbs you could get for a stock would only support softies IMO, and that fixture I listed about could support softies, LPS, and possibly some lower light SPS

iDreamInSaltwater said:
Longer bulbs, more powerful. In terms of what you could keep? Bulbs you could get for a stock would only support softies IMO, and that fixture I listed about could support softies, LPS, and possibly some lower light SPS

i want mushroom and button polyps and that green duncan is a T5H0 over kill?

Here is what happened at petco yesterday I was looking at a maxi mini anemone and was trying to decide if I liked enough to take a chance. The manager of that department asked if I knew where another semi local fish store was since that is where she gets her livestock. That is saying a lot about how she feels about the store.

I looked at craigslist in RI I found some decent corals. When searching craigslist type on aquarium, fish tank, reef, saltwater, frags, clownfish, clown fish, goby, live rock or about anything that has to do with saltwater tanks. If you go with 4 5t lights you could keep any of those. I found some good buys and some that seemed good but really weren't. If you go for a used light find out the type of bulbs and when they were last changed bulbs can run anywhere from 15 to upwards of 60 a piece. The price of a new 10 gallon is about the same as the price of a used one so go new that way you don't have to worry about if they used copper and the silicon absorbed it. Remember the tank is always the cheapest new or used so look around for deals on used items other than the tank.

joy13 said:
Here is what happened at petco yesterday I was looking at a maxi mini anemone and was trying to decide if I liked enough to take a chance. The manager of that department asked if I knew where another semi local fish store was since that is where she gets her livestock. That is saying a lot about how she feels about the store.

I looked at craigslist in RI I found some decent corals. When searching craigslist type on aquarium, fish tank, reef, saltwater, frags, clownfish, clown fish, goby, live rock or about anything that has to do with saltwater tanks. If you go with 4 5t lights you could keep any of those. I found some good buys and some that seemed good but really weren't. If you go for a used light find out the type of bulbs and when they were last changed bulbs can run anywhere from 15 to upwards of 60 a piece. The price of a new 10 gallon is about the same as the price of a used one so go new that way you don't have to worry about if they used copper and the silicon absorbed it. Remember the tank is always the cheapest new or used so look around for deals on used items other than the tank.

im on the fence with Craigslist for corals because idk if there cared for right diseased etc

I've seen people who have bought from them too, both sell really nice looking rock IMO. As for the lighting, it wouldn't be overkill at all, but not bare minimum either

so kind of a happy medium what else should i be concerned about one thing i dont get is the salinty levels etc n how to do thar

Back
Top Bottom