Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2011, 12:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

want to start a 10g coral/invert tank

i was lookin into starting a 10g coral tank what would i need to hve it thrive and be sucessful

Sent from my Vortex using Aquarium

xxwolfpackof1xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Filter, LR of course, a nice T5HO fixture. What types or corals are you looking at keeping? If only softies, LPS, and lower light SPS then 2-bulbs is all you'd need. If more SPS then a 4-6 bulb fixture would be needed.

Possibly a powerhead depending on the flow from the filter

Old 03-13-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It looks from your profile that you have a 15G FW tank. Just an upfront warning that it'll be a lot of work. Everything that was started above. 15lbs - 20lbs of LR and sand. A refractometer (to test salinity) a test kit (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate at least) A big bucket of salt. 3 weeks + of waiting for the tank to cycle. A couple buckets with extra heater and powerhead (you'll be doing a lot of PWC partial water changes)
Old 03-13-2011, 12:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Research is probably the first thing you will want for your tank. Figure out what you want and go from there. Type of coral what type of fish, if you are going to have messy eater get a bigger clean up crew and go with a better filter. If you want just softies, LPS or SPS with depend on the amount of flow you will need and the lighting.

Patience nothing good happens fast in SW. You will find the slower you go the more you will enjoy it less problems from the beginning.

Two things I think every saltwater tank needs is a refractometer and a test kit, then a nano tank an ATO I topped of water 2 times a day in my 24 gallon until I got one.

Last but not least plan ahead if you enjoy this tank either you will upgrade or start another one.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

im noteven going to start it until november im realy into soft low lights and some harder corals i know nothing about salt water aquaria could you help please? ikkno the paitence of the cycle is to be expected but after that im clueless

Old 03-13-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

il have around a 200 dollar budget if that helps plus the family will gladly get me some stuff for bday christmas

Old 03-13-2011, 02:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The one thing that concerns me about starting a tank that small with coral is the lighting. Most of us, once we start our tank want more which means a bigger tank. I'd hate to see you spend a lot of money on T5HO for a 10G reef only to upgrade and need new lighting for a bigger tank.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:29 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

You want to have patience through out the life of your tank. You can do it with that amount if you watch for the deal on craigslist and forums. You tube will be a good place to start. This is a good idea instead of just a HOB filter or fuge YouTube - Feb09-2011 Fuge and Skimmer Mod I find a lot of ideas on youtube to make my tanks healthier and more fun.

When I set up a tank everything possible I get will be used to cut costs without cutting quality.

Instead of a skimmer do water changes on a tank that size, it will keep the water quality up so you don't have to dose. Also will keep the fish healthier.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:30 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxb161
The one thing that concerns me about starting a tank that small with coral is the lighting. Most of us, once we start our tank want more which means a bigger tank. I'd hate to see you spend a lot of money on T5HO for a 10G reef only to upgrade and need new lighting for a bigger tank.
i get what your saying but for fish i pefer fresh water and salt i olny want a reef but a 10g reef to small? i could go 15 but my budget would be comprimised a 15 at my petsmart runs 40 50 bucks n i heard a good lighting is 100 for the t5 things so thats at 150 i have 50 75 bucks left and wat i cant afford i can most deffiantly get for bday christmas

Old 03-13-2011, 02:38 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Watch out what coral you place in a tank that size. Xenia and GSP (green star polyp) for example will take over and quickly.

Tags
coral, invert, start, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com