Water Change. Am i doing this right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ace1uno_00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is the way i do my water change. Am i doing this right?
I'm running a 12 gallon eclipse tank.
Every 2 weeks i do a 5 gallon water change.
I fill a 5 gallon rubbermaid container with water and add my water conditioner,salt and cycle. Then in the container i put in a heater, powerhead and airstone. i let everything run for about 24 hrs. the i test all my levels and make sure they match the tank water. then i just empty 5 gallons out of my tank and place the new water in.

Is this ok? Or should i be doing something else?
Thanks guys.

That sounds good, however that is a LOT of water to be changing every time you do a water change. People typically do 10%-15% changes every time. I think you would be better off changing 1-2 gallons every week instead of 5 gallons.

As far as your method, that is perfect. You don't really need the airstone though, just the powerhead and heater.

tripper

ok cool. I also thought that 5 gallons was alot but, my puffer is a messy eater.
is the airstone bad why wouldnt i need it.

What kind of puffer do you have? What other fish do you have in your tank?

The airstone isn't bad, it just isn't needed. It really isn't adding anything to the mixing process so you can keep using it if you want, it's just not needed.

tripper

The powerhead circulates the water and helps to oxygenate it, it basically does what the airstones do, but better. I used to use two air pums with stones, but now I just use one powerhead. You should't need the cycle, that's just for helping to cycle a new tank setup.

FYI, I change 20% of the water every other week, but test the wter weekly, if the nitrates are high, i'll go a water change in between, but that's the system that works for me.

lol. The Puffer is a Tetraodon nigroviridis, Leopard Puffer. He's aclimated to full marine. He's going to a good new home soon. and also there are 2 clown gobies in there.

I'll ditch the airstone. Thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom