Water Change help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surfandshine77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Guys :) I need to do a water change today and i have some new members to my tank family that are pretty sensitive to changes in water. I have two margarita snails and a cleaner wrass that i know are sensitive. Last water change, my water wasn't perfect and it killed my previous margarita snails. Can someone please tell me how i should match the new water's PH to my tank's PH.. I've heard of using baking soda but i've never done it. Will baking soda harm my fish and inverts ? Please help :confused::fish1:

I think you would be fine performing your water change as is. Dont do anything special and don't dose anything you can't test for.

I do have a refractometer and the salinity is right on point . The water has been sitting / being mixed for two days now & I'm doing a 20% water change

If you pour the new saltwater very slowly you should not have any problem. A large difference on pH is more critical than the alkalinity on your new mix. Do you have auto top off?

I personally would just do smaller water changes for the next week. Snails are surprisingly sensitive and in my experience do well in a refugium to begin with. It stops the fish annoying them as they acclimatise. Definitely invest in a refractometer. Well worth the money and it is what your local fish shop will be using.

Back
Top Bottom