Water change/salinity increase question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandown123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi people!

I'm going to do my first water change on the tank when I get home. I am doing a 20% and I was wondering -

My salinity is now at like between 1.022 and 1.023
Can I mix the new water to be 1.025 and add it directly in or will it shock the fish/hermits/snails and musroom colony in there right now?
Can I mix it to this level and add is gradually instead? Or mix it lower altogether. I want to raise my salinity eventually to .025 but not sure how long of a period i should phase this sort of change in over.

Thanks!

Adding 20% 1.025 water is fine It won't affect the total SG too much. I usually shoot for about 1.024 I found that If I keep it around 1.025-1.026 range with evaporation it can climb to 1.027 So I try maintain it around 1.023-1.024 roughly. As long as you don't adjust the SG by more than 3 points instantly like when a fish goes from 1.021 LFS water to 1.025 in your display I don't see a problem When you add a higher SG water than what you have in your tank its not as shocking as just dumping a fish into a new level of SG instantly

A 20% PWC w/ 1.025 water should be fine. Just keep doing the weekly PWC's with the salinity @ 1.025. Within 3-4 weeks your tank will be where you want it. What are you doing for top off water? Have an ATO? If not...you might not want to make it that high....

for top offs i throw in a little bottle of poland spring when i see the level drop below my pump.

for the change i bought 6 gallons of RO water from the LFS the other day, its just sitting around with the lid on i havent had a chance to mix it up because sooo busy, but Ive set aside a little time after work today.

I should let it sit a few hours though after I mix it up correct?

As that water level drops....the salinity in your tank is going to go up. So, If you keep your SG at 1.025 and the water level drops from evaporation...your SG may be as high as 1.027 or higher until you add the fresh water. So, until you get some kind of ATO in place, you may want to just keep your SG at 1.023-1.024...Just my 2 cents...

well... my tank is in my room so i would be able to visually monitor the water level because its right there. Maybe ill make it 1.024, either way i want to get it higher than it is now.

That should be fine...you can make it 1.025 if you want...you just have to be vigilant in keeping the tank topped off. If you go away or spend the night away from home. Someone will have to be there to add that fresh water. BTW..you should use the RO/DI water to top off as well. Poland Spring water, while pure enough to drink, is prob not pure enough for SW. If there are any traces of Phos, Nitrate, Copper...you will eventually run into issues.

And Yes..You should let your fresh SW sit for 24 hours with a power head and heater running in the bucket.

does anyone else have an opinion on the poland spring? I don't care either way, the RO water is a dollar a gallon, but I'd rather cut down on 5 gallon buckets lying around the place lol.

I dont have an extra power head, would an air rock be good enough?

Air stones do not work the same way in SW as in FW. You need something that will agitate the water and make a ripple on the surface. It's purpose is not only aeration but to make sure the salt has mixed thoroughly into the water. You will notice a bucket of SW you mixed 5 minutes ago will have a different SG than a bucket that has been mixing for 24hrs.

Hmm,. Okay. I guess I will just use the airline then pumping bubbles in and mix it as thoroughly as I can. Don't have the spare gear required for all that. Still tryin to even get a spare heater located.

does anyone else have an opinion on the poland spring? I don't care either way, the RO water is a dollar a gallon, but I'd rather cut down on 5 gallon buckets lying around the place lol.
?
$1 a gallon for RO water?? a RO/DI unit is like 150 bucks If you plan to stay in this hobby longer than 1 year its definately money well spent and in the long run will save you money just a thought

Back
Top Bottom