Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrunner69

Nitrate and phosphate are the big ones, for sure, but the trace elements they load the salt mixes with will feed algae as well as coral.
Great discussion, with many good points!
I think the import of trace elements with the water changes, would only become an issue, if using a reef grade salt, as these are juiced with more than normal levels. If using a "normal" salt mix, like regular IO, this would have less of a negative effect, in this light.
I think we all agree that more frequent, smaller changes, are by far better than one large one.

I do roughly 10% weekly changes, with total volume taken into account, with regular IO. This is with an embarrassingly under-sized skimmer and no GFO, without any algae issues. Fish load is very light, however. Because of coral load, I do dose with 2-part, daily.

Dino, so far your tank seems to be doing quite well. Even though 20% seems like a lot (5g on approx. 25g total), with a reef grade salt mix (which I think you use), I would stick with that. Bumping it up to 8g, means you would be completely turning over the tank water every 3 1/2 weeks. With 5g, your turning it every 5 weeks.
I agree that too large or too frequent changes with a reef salt will stack up many elements that we aren't testing for, as well as some that we are, in our tanks. JMO...

Old 07-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #22
AA Team Emeritus

I think 3-5 gallons a week is fine, I plan on doing 2-3 gallons a week on my 20 when it establishes, but as I said earlier, allow the circumstances in your tank and your inhabitants reactions guide you in how much is too much.

Btw, sweet looking tank! Be careful that that bubble doesn't sting the leather.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:16 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks everyone and thanks reefrunner I can move the bubble down more if I have to. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Thanks again.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:23 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

10% is usually good, BUT if you're having water quality issues, obviously do more frequent/larger changes.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:23 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161
Thanks everyone and thanks reefrunner I can move the bubble down more if I have to. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Thanks again.
55g tank 15g sump 5g waterchange every 7-10 days for the last 3 years using reefcrystals i dose nothing and feed 5 fish once a day
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120728_122225.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	109388  
Old 07-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #26
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong

55g tank 15g sump 5g waterchange every 7-10 days for the last 3 years using reefcrystals i dose nothing and feed 5 fish once a day
Awesome tank!

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

I forgot to mention that your not allowed to show me up with pics of your tank in my own thread. J/K

Awesome tank!! Again another member that doesn't dose anything, I love it and your tank looks great!! No 2 part? Nothing? That's great!

Again sick tank!! I hope one day to get a bigger tank and it looks like yours!

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #28
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong View Post
Do you siphon your sandbed when you do your water changes? Everyone seems to have pristine sandbeds in their tanks and mine is just awful. Even increasing flow doesn't help. I just can't beat the slime algae in my system.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank

Do you siphon your sandbed when you do your water changes? Everyone seems to have pristine sandbeds in their tanks and mine is just awful. Even increasing flow doesn't help. I just can't beat the slime algae in my system.
No i dont siphon i do have nassarius snails they keep the sandbed stirred for me i probably have 25 or so i wouldn recommend stirring the sand because it will release nutrients into the water causing problems imo it takes about a year for a tank to mature and stabalize i do use a calcium reactor it keeps alk at 12 and cal at 420 by far the best investment next to lights but thats it no chemicals sps grow like crazy since adding it
Old 07-28-2012, 04:11 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

No i dont siphon i do have nassarius snails they keep the sandbed stirred for me i probably have 25 or so i wouldn recommend stirring the sand because it will release nutrients into the water causing problems imo it takes about a year for a tank to mature and stabalize i do use a calcium reactor it keeps alk at 12 and cal at 420 by far the best investment next to lights but thats it no chemicals sps grow like crazy since adding it
You may not be dosing, by definition, but using a calcium reactor, is basically the same thing as dosing 2-part.

Tags
change, water change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com