Water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFreak1961

Aquarium Advice Freak
Your advice....When doing a water change when you replace water do you
replace it with the exact salinity or a lesser salinity in order
to keep it from going too high? Just wondering what is the right
way? Are there any additives safe to use in your aquarium? I get differing
opinions. Like phosorb or amquel and so forth. My phosphates are high
and wondered if that worked or what I need to do. Thanks for the input:)

• Water Change - Removing water from the tank and and replacing it with the exact salinity or close to(On bigger tanks, Small tanks try get it exact.), same temp or close to as well.
  • Evaporation (Water Loss) - Your tank will loose water from evaporation, Top this up with RO/DI water preferably, If not RO will do. Try stay away from Tap water, But if needed then you can use it but it will raise your nitrate/phosphate levels and whatever else is in your tap water.
  • Additives - Water changes should be able to bring your phosphate levels down, And replenish water chemicals such as Calcium. If water changes aint doing it, Then try find the source of the problem. Eg, Not enough flow, Detrious, Better skimmer.. ect ect. You can buy yourself a Phosphate/Nitrate/Calcium Reactor, But water changes can do the same job if kept on scheduled.

water changes

Thanks for the info. I have a 36 gal bowfront with a #1 powerhead,
seaclone 100 skimmer and use the 205 fluval filtration system. See
any improvements there? stronger powerhead maybe? I use an RO
filter for my well water that has no ph whatsover and I have to get
that up before I put it in. I need to check for phosphates there too.
Thanks for the advice. I am not wild about additives. I added some
ph buffer for freshwater accidentally and killed a few :( I have been
using same salinity at water changes and that seems to be working.
Been at this since October 09. Love it!!

Phosphates in well water

Just checked my phosphates in the well water and its there.
0.5. After RO filtered, before addition to tank.
Should I just live with that or do something else? Like the
reactor thingy?

0.50 phosphate is quite high, You want it 0.05 or lower. Hard to acheive but thats for best colour and growth. 0.50 will not effect your fish.

0.50 phosphate is quite high, You want it 0.05 or lower. Hard to acheive but thats for best colour and growth. 0.50 will not effect your fish.

I agree with this, and it is pretty close to impossible to get a true 0.00 Phosphate because even the saltwater mixes we use contain phosphate, typically around 0.03 depending on the brand. What are you using to test 0.50?

Hanna makes a pretty good electronic monitor for under $50. A lot of people with large SPS systems consider them a must.
X is correct though, API are nice for the cost and availability, but the nicer kits will give you a better titration.
You can find better prices then this, I just knew where this one was.
Aquarium Phosphate Meter & Water Testing: Hanna Instruments HC Checker Low Range Phosphate Meter

all the test kits listed, Elos, Salifert and API gave me a reading of 0 phosphate. I was frustrated because I knew that could not be correct so I purchased the Hanna meter which Jimbo is talking about and that is much more accurate. My tank is right around 0.03, my RO/DI water is 0.00, my partial water change water is around 0.03 and the water coming out of my GFO reactor is 0.00

Back
Top Bottom