water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Start with getting rid of filter material and see what that does. That helped me a lot. Add some more lr - at least 30-40 lbs.

The pics can be manipulated with a computer program to size them smaller. It doesn't have to be done with the camera.

I removed the filter pads and did a water change. I'll be doing another water change tomorrow then I'll test again. I'll replace the tetratest kit but it will probably be at least a week before I can. I have to drive about 2 hrs one way to get to a decent fish store. Our local one is a small private owned one and doesn't do much in the line of saltwater. Just a few fish. We've taken water to them before to be tested and they only tested for ammonia. I'll be getting more lr. I took some more pics and I'm gonna try to put them in my gallery. Thanks for all the help. :D

I removed the filter pads and did a water change

Good move

I'll be doing another water change tomorrow then I'll test again

Test before you do your water change and then again after. That way you have a baseline to compare.

I'll replace the tetratest kit but it will probably be at least a week before I can

You gotta work with what you have.

I have to drive about 2 hrs one way to get to a decent fish store.

That's a shame. Guess you'll have to depend on us :) .

Nothing happens fast when working with sw. I was content to keep my nitrates to around 20 until my lr took over.

My nitrates were testing horrible before I changed test kits. They look so much better that, I'm now a tad skeptical. I'm going to try both kits one after the other to set my mind at ease.

Do with what you can. Don't be hasty in anything.

just a general tip when you question your test kits.

Take a fair sized sample of water from your tank in a tupperware container, say 1-2 cups. Test that sample with your kits and write down the results. Then take the same sample to your LFS and have them test it and compare their results with yours. This should give you a fair judgement on your test kits and if they accurate or not. (keep in mind the LFS may not 100% accurate either but they should be fairly decent.)

Make sure it's worth your time how your lfs is going to test. The first time I took my water to a (I don't call it mine any more, I don't frequent it much anymore) lfs, he used the same quick dip test strips he had me buy. One of the strips he didn't even use according to the directions.

Be sure to find out how they test ahead of time.

Thanks for the tips. Like I said, It'll be about a week yet before I can make the road trip and I'll take a water sample with me. For now though, I'll make due with what I have. Nothing in my tank seems to be suffering ill effects or stressed in anyway so I'll do a few more water changes to see if it helps. Can't hurt right? Off to do more tests and water change. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom