water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I need to get my nitrate levels in check. I guess I should explain. My husband has always done the water tests and changes on our tanks but he's working alot and now that chore has been shifted to me. While testing I realized we didn't have a nitrate test kit so I picked one up last night. Lets just say, I was shocked at the results and figure I need to do some big water changes to get them back down.

I'm no expert, but I'd say it's a math problem...

If you do 50% water changes, the first change would cut the nitrates in half, the second would cut it to 25% the third would bring it down to 12% etc...

But if your levels are rediculously high, maybe there's a root cause? You didn't mention if you were acting to correct that. I'm lucky to have a small tank so I can easly change 50% of the water once a week.

As far has fixing the root problem you'll need to ask these other guys, I'm still a noob when it comes to that stuff.

I had a problem with nitrates and switched test kits. Was using the quick test strips that you dip in the water. Nitrates were always high. Spent a little more on a test kit that took a little more time and Nitrates were actually almost zero.

I've learned to feed less. My fish look pathetic coming to the tank all the time, but there is less waste, even if it looks like they get it all.

I had a problem with nitrates when I would get ocean saltwater and didn't use it right away. There would be some die off and I wasn't able to get my nitrates down. Now I'm going with strict RO/DO saltwater. I'm considering mixing my own, but I'm not that brave yet.

Oh, one more thing. I would suggest a cleaner or fire shrimp. They do a good job of taking care of little particles. They'll help. Snails are good, too. 1 or 2 per 5 gallons is a good rule of thumb.

I'm using tap water. (looking around for a ro unit right now) The test kit is Aquarium Pharmacueticals. I thought it may be the kit itself so I tested some of the water I have sitting to do the water changes and it was fine so the problem is the tank itself. I only feed every other day and I have two cleaner shrimp, two peppermint shrimp and about 20 nassarius snails. The tank is 2 yrs old. Thanks to everyone for your replies.

looking around for a ro unit right now

Get one on ebay for 135 shipped. I'll se if I can find the link.

The test kit is Aquarium Pharmacueticals

I use this kit also. If it's not old it's pretty accurate.

only feed every other day and I have two cleaner shrimp, two peppermint shrimp and about 20 nassarius snails.

What no fish?

Ok How high was your nitrates anyway? Also when was the last water change? And since your gonna do a water change do you have enough aquarium salt to do multiple 50% changes?

Oh an dwelcome to AA. :mrgreen:

Yes, there are fish and corals also. (I intend to update my profile with my tank details) I just listed the shrimp and snails because it was suggested that I get some. Yes, I have plenty of salt. The nitrates were registering at around 40ppm. We haven't done any large water changes in a while but small water changes are done weekly. I'll get the nitrates back in order. Just wasn't sure how a couple large water changes in a short period of time would affect the tank.

How big is your tank? What are you using for filteration? do you have any live rock? Do you have cc or ls?

You could also look at alternatives to reduce nitrate. A sufficient volume of LR (1/2 volume of tank or so) will reduce nitrate, often to zero, even when used in conjunction with traditional biofilters like wet/dry's and biowheels.
A refugium with macro algae can also be used although it may be falling out of favor due to the added complexity.
The suggestion to use RO/DI water is a good one. How big is your tank? Got pics?

The tank is 110 gal. I have about 100 lbs of live rock with a 4" sandbed. As well as the liverock and sand, there is a tetratec pf500 filter that holds the heater. I don't have a sump or refuguim so macro is out of the question. My tang and angel eat everything I put in the tank. As for pics, I have tons but the files are to big to put on here. I'm sure there is a way to make the pics smaller on the digital camera, I just haven't figured it out yet. My PH this morning was 8.0, nitrite is 0.3, ammonia 0 and sg 1.022.

nitrite is 0.3
This should be zero. Are you sure you don't have something dead in there? Snails are a likely culprit. They die in hard to reach places and then rot, fouling the water. Your set up should keep nitrate low unless there is an overly large bio load.

and sg 1.022

I would raise that to 1.025, but if you do make sure to do it over 3 to 4 days.

there is a tetratec pf500 filter that holds the heater

I have one of these on my 26 bow front, I don't like the heater part, it doesn't seem to keep the water stable in mine anyway.

Also with 100 lbs of lr I would loose the filter pad in the tetra. that's probally where your nitrate is coming from.

The lowest reading on the test card says <0.3. Thats where my nitrites are. I use a tetratest laborett test kit. Thanks to everyone, off to do water changes.

I use a tetratest laborett test kit

Now these part of the problem, Tetratest kits are not known to be very accurate. I would have my lfs test it also to confirm the reading.

I agree with Mark in that you need an alternative method to reduce nitrates other than water changes. The problem is, even with large regular water changes, nitrates will continue to climb over the life period of the tank. If you were to graph the nitrate level after each water change over the course of a year or so, it would look kind like the blade on a handsaw turned upside down. Except, instead of staying level and straight, it would climb upward...

Water changes do help slow the process but won't stop it. You need another type of removal strategy.

Back
Top Bottom