Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-17-2015, 05:10 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Every time I have tested the water the calcium and other parameters are right on ~ about 420-430ppm, so not sure what to make of it. Maybe the conversion is off in their report or something or someone put the decimal point in the wrong position...LOL

not positive about where they all come from, but I have been in Tong's before when they were fragging corals they grew in store.
there is Coral Obsessions in HB, but I get the overall impression they are kinda sketchy,
and another one I found is ReefRaft in Garden Grove. They have corals rivaling what you have on offer in quality and price.

In reality in Southern California you can barely swing a dead cat without hitting a LFS or pet store and 1/2 of them sell corals and only 1/2 of them actually have nice ones.....LOL

as far as comparing "name branded" coral with AKC dogs or horses is just lame and silly. The only way to confirm such claims is via genetic analysis and when it comes to coral, who is going to go to that hassle except a biologist?
It is also lame because a brand name coral carries with it no extra guarantee of anything.
It will be just as subject to color change as any other coral.
Branding coral is nothing more than a sales ploy to add $$$ to the price, IMO.

Show of hands, how many members here "expect a legacy and history behind some of their corals"?

Said legacy and history is more than likely only determined by how good the salesperson is at delivering BS.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:42 PM   #32

My dad owns the security company that does Tong's security system... They frag certain corals but get 90% from wholesale.

I can completely understand legacy corals are not for everyone. I personally just buy corals that look like they're going to have potential to color up. I'm not into the name game.

But as far as confirming I can give you Steve Tyree's phone number or Jason Fox and they'd be more than happy to authenticate my store as a reputable dealer. You can also google "Coral Collection Bubble Tips". Have you heard of the cc Super Nova or cc Inferno? It's a pretty popular item online..

Anyway you may not be one but the high rollers I work with want to buy named corals with specific names. Then there's people perhaps like you (and me?) who are not too into the name game. But I can assure you members on these forums do expect a legacy behind certain corals. I'd encourage you to make a thread to open the discussion.

I guess when you walk into a store and they only have 5 Leptos and are selling them as Jason Fox it's harder to believe. But when you're looking at 36 of them next to another 5grand in coral on just one rack you may believe the dealer is more legit than other.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:58 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer James View Post
My dad owns the security company that does Tong's security system... They frag certain corals but get 90% from wholesale.
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know you had such an intimate relationship with Tong's and know their business inside and out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer James View Post
But as far as confirming I can give you Steve Tyree's phone number or Jason Fox and they'd be more than happy to authenticate my store as a reputable dealer. You can also google "Coral Collection Bubble Tips". Have you heard of the cc Super Nova or cc Inferno? It's a pretty popular item online..
LOL...LOL...LOL
Seriously dude, you know idiotic and ludicrous the whole idea of "name branding" coral is?
Dogs and horses may have pedigrees, but they are not "branded" with some fools name.
How do those guys protect against people cranking out knock-offs. I'll bet there is a coral farm in some poor Asian country where 6 year olds slave away all day cutting frags and making sure they look just right so they can be sold as a ""Tyree" or "Fox" branded coral.
I'll bet it's giving the Gucci counterfeiters a real battle for the black-market share.

I've browsed the site. Not calling into question the stores reputation at all, it actually has a rather stellar reputation.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:01 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Reefer James, you sir are magnesium... no shortage of flint blocks here.. not quite sure how dire the situation is though...
Disclaimer: probably a compliment though I can't add much to the convo. It is great reading.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 07-17-2015, 09:04 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
Reefer James, you sir are magnesium... no shortage of flint blocks here.. not quite sure how dire the situation is though...
Disclaimer: probably a compliment though I can't add much to the convo. It is great reading.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 07-18-2015, 01:29 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

RJ, just curious about the salt price you specify. I use the same salt as your store and I just had a 200 gallon box shipped to my door in NYS (arrived today actually) and I paid $49.99 for it from Drs. Foster and Smith. Don't shops get a better price than the individual or is that one of those items that everyone pays the same? Truly I am just curious because I have only dealt with it from the private user side.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Tags
ate, change, loud, water, water change, water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com