Water changes, time saver?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bj5z25

Aquarium Advice Regular
Right now to change 20 gallons of water in my tank it takes me close to an hour. I would like to be able to finish this task in a lot shorter time, im a busy guy. The big problem i have is i cannot figure out exactly how much instant ocean salt mix to put in each 5 gal container i have to have a constant 1.023-1.025 sg. Are there any suggestions as to how i can save time?

I use about 2.5 cups per 5gal bucket. (gonna depend on how far you fill the buckets) This takes my sg to 1.025. HTH

You should be mixing the water for at least 24 hours before you use it and IMO you want the salinity to be a match not a close 1.023- 1.025. and the water should be heated to the tank temp before the WC.

Get yourself a 30 gallon BRUTE trash can (by Rubbermaid) and mix your change water in that. Throw in a powerhead an heater to mix it and bring it to temp after filling with RO/DI watter. The attach a hose to the ph to move the water to the tank. Use a Python to remove the water from the tank to the sink.

I use my 30 gal QT tank for my changes. I fill it overnight with RO/DI water then add the salt the next day. I let it run for a day or two before finding time to do the change.

Busy guy - aren't we all? Amazing how hectic our lives are compared to our predecessors. 1/2 cup per gallon is the standard mix rate. Add your water first, and then the salt. Never saw anything in writing that supports a 24 hrs mix time, but if it works go with it. Maybe that it takes that much time to reach the same temp as the ST? Slow down, enjoy the hobby.

KG

Never saw anything in writing that supports a 24 hrs mix time, but if it works go with it.
Mix you salt and check for salinity. Run a PH in the water and re-check the next day. It will most likely change a bit. Lot of stuff in that salt that needs to dissolve. Fish are not as picky but corals are bit more picky on water being as stable as possible.

1/2 cup per gal is the general rule. After awhile, you will be able to judge better for smaller adjustments.

HTH

I'd be willing to bet it doesn't change much and salanity in nature does change. Don't get me wrong, you can't be way off and expect things to do OK, but I don't personally agree that you have to wait 24 hours. Think it's another one of those myths that everyone believes to be true since it seems to make sense.

KG

I wait for my water to become well mixed and oxygenated and come to temperature. That takes a good while. I change out 20% of my 175 in less than 20 minutes. That is after the water has been mixed etc. I also do it the old fashioned way by hauling 4 gallons at a time, back and forth.

I'd be willing to bet it doesn't change much and salanity in nature does change. Don't get me wrong, you can't be way off and expect things to do OK, but I don't personally agree that you have to wait 24 hours. Think it's another one of those myths that everyone believes to be true since it seems to make sense

I would not have said it if I had not seen it happen. More than one way to have success in this hobby but with some creatures being very sensitive to water quality changes, some people are safer than others. Don't think you will see a huge change but 1.023 to 1.025 can be too much for some creatures.

Back
Top Bottom