Water flow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Hello,

I currently have a 120 gal tank with the following hardware.

2 surge 300 pumps in the upper right and left corners that blow from front to back. 80 gph

1 AquaClear 402 Powerhead 270 gph sitting on the right wall about half way down running wide open.

1 mag-12 1200gph. thats in the wet/ dry that exits out the top middle aiming towards the right.

I attached a picture, you can see the pumps on there.

Don't laugh at the aquascaping. I know it looks bad but I'm not very good at it.

Is this enough flow?

Thanks,

Looks good to me. Some more live rock would look good if your wallet will let you. But it looks good. Very good.

yea, pretty sparse.

I just added those really white pieces in there to try and build it up.

I'm paranoid about changing what little rock I have around since all my fish have homes already.

Especially the anemoee on the right. It took him like a week to stop bouncing around and find a home on that rock he's on now.

So your saying that the flow I have now is sufficient?

thanks,

The flow sounds good but without a video it’s kind of hard to tell just from a photo. You might want to put a pre-filter on that power head. You wouldn’t want anything to get sucked up in it.

I wouldn’t think the surge 300 pumps are doing much for flow with such a deep tank and only putting out 80 gph. IMO I’d replace them with a couple of Maxi-Jet 1200s and place them mid tank on each side since your Mag 12 is giving you good surface agitation.

From the photo it looks like you have a Spotted Hawkfish. Does he mess with your corals at all?

For the health of your tank I would add some more lr. Don’t worry to much about the fish/inverts finding homes again, it shouldn’t take too long.

Tank looks pretty nice buy the way :D

i got the 300's just to circulate the water in the extreme left and right sides of the tank.

Are you saying to point the 1200's at each other?

I just got the hawkfish for Christmas. So far he has not touched any of my corals. He's pretty cool. Just hangs out on the rocks.

Deffinately need more rock. Seeing the picture of my tank online really showed me how little there in in there.

thanks,

I'd point the 1200's at each other but you might have to play with it. Doesn't the mag 12 circulate the surface enough? Do you have the mag 12 on two outlets or just one? I love the hawkfish myself but am hesitant to get it. They don’t do a whole lot but have a funny personality.

The mag 12 does great on the one side but on the upper left side.

I only have the mag 12 exiting on the right side.
The overflow is offset to the left side do I had exit out the right side.

I was not sure about pointing the jets at each other.
I'll give it a try and let you know.

Those 1200's are pretty cheap. $20 on this site.

http://store.aquariumguys.com/yhst-85300140756196/maxijet1200.html

I just moved some rock around my tank to help get it ready to except some new stuff.

I tried to move some stuff without freaking out my fish too much.
Actually they have all kinds of new places to swim.

Figures, my wife steped in and took over.

below is a pic.

Attachments

• 010106.jpg
    010106.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 82
Tank looks great :D I’m lucky/cursed that my wife doesn’t do anything to the tank but watch it. Helping with the pwc would be nice once in awhile :roll:

thats funy you said that, every time i do something to any kind of s=tank my other half always says "it looks better when u do it" now im the foreman on how to "aquascape everything" :roll: . i to had to move things around to make room for new lr, and my shrimp are happier for it.

Back
Top Bottom