water test results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swjunkie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have well water and decided to test the tap water just for the heck of it. These are the results
pH 7.4
NH3/NH4 0 ppm
NO2 0 ppm
NO3 0 ppm
I did the tests 2 times to make sure I did it right. This is where I want my readings right? Except I need the PH higher. So would it be okay to use my tap water to fill my tank?
Melissa

I'd make sure to do a phosphate test on it as well before going further.
Phosphate = algae food.
Also, I'd at least call the water quality people in the area (not sure what to call em..whomever does the water cleansing for your tap water..) and ask for a water quality report.
It'll give you the various stats on the other stuff in the water (like copper, which is a good thing to keep your eye on).

Most will say go with ro/di but I'm sure there are plenty that use the plain ole tap water. Depends on the end results you want.

Personally I want as 'virgin' a setup as possible, so I went ahead and got an ro/di unit off ebay (works great for cooking and drinking water too!)

I am planning on taking a sample into them at the water works dep. thanx about the phosphate test I would have never thought of that. I have checked into some ro/di units i am not sure if I have the room for the holding tanks. I have to do some more research on them. I am also still waiting to cycle my tank because I know the tests will fluctuate until it is completely finished.
Thanx,
Melissa

Like Feron says test for phosphates, silacates.
Heavy metals is a real problem also... HD has test kits for Iron and other metals.
IMO water quality is the most important thing in this hobby. Poor water = algae, poor coral growth. It will also effect the health of the fish.
You should not cut corners in this hobby, it will cost you more in the long run.

What else should I test for? I would like to test it before I start just to know where I stand. When I get the report back from the water people will it list everythig that I need for my tank or should I have them test it for something else as well?
Melissa

Well, what I meant about the qater quality thing is that all counties/cities (whatever source governs your local water supply if not a well) are required by law to publish a water quality report that states what on average is in the water they put out.
Also take into account the piping within your home (most older homes have copper pipes, which is a no-no in this hobby..copper = especially bad for invert life forms).
If you are seriously getting into the hobby, I recommend getting a 'master test kit' of some nature (I have a hagen master kit and several individual ones by salifert and red sea). It'll cover most of the bases (cept for copper, iodine and other trace elements).
Unfortunatly, taking the water to your standard local fish store won't tell you anything beyond the basics (altho they might run the full gambit for you at a charge..basics are usually free).

Hope that helps, keep asking questions, there's lots of people here with good info (and certainly a TON of questions to be answered...don't I know!)

GL!

Thank You for all your help. I did buy a master test kit today and that is what I tested with. I dont have to worry about copper pipes in my home. I bought my test kit at the LFS that is for sw/reef tanks and then I went to home depot and found another test kit that tests a few more elements. I think I will get that one to, just out of curiosity.
thanx again
Melissa

the holding tank for my rodi is very small. about 1 cubic foot. I highly recommend going for a RODI, as you will need it for topoffs anyway. with tap you have to worry about chlorine, whereas with well or rodi you don't.

you might have them do a TDS test. I bought my tdsmeter on ebay for $25.

I use rodi on my well water.

Back
Top Bottom