Way of measuring DOC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Electrobes

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering this because I am still considering making a protein skimmer. For my pops (who handles acrylic constantly) I could make one, but it would be a semi-hassle to do so plus money on getting a decent powerhead for it. I read the article on protein skimming and after theorizing that my tank shouldn't produce that much protein, that protein that is in my tank could be picked up by the bag of carbon (which one should I use for my filstar XP3?) in my canister filter, which is really large for my 45G tall. In my to-be Macroalgae tank will only be a single 4-5 inch (max size, currently is about 3-4 inch in the LFS) valentini puffer, and two stars (currently have one tiger serpent star, and am considering either getting another serpent or a brittle star). I don;t want to spend the money nor time on a protein skimmer is my tank doesn't produce much of it and if the bag of carbon can pick up what little (hopefully only a little) is in my tank, as well as the serpent stars picking up after the puffer's feedings. Thanks a bunch for reading... been posting a lot since being a newbie in the saltwater and all :lol:

I am not aware of any method of testing DOC, FWIW, Ithink your tank will be fine without a skimmer by doing regular waterchanges and judicious use of GAC. I would change the water and the GAC weekly.

Actually, Salifert makes a DOC test kit. PN# SF1141 in the Marine Depot catalog. I don't have a good supplier for Salifert kits. You might check with Darin at Captive Reefs...I believe he carries Salifert kits. I agree with Kevin though...it's not a parameter that you need to test for unless it's just curiosity.

Hehe it is.. just wanted to see if it was really necessary to geta skimmer for my set up. I had planned on having carbon in my XP3 (which is pretty big considering the tank size) and the 10% weekly water changed I was going to perform.

Back
Top Bottom