Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-07-2005, 11:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

welcome home

so i came home today after work to find that ive lost the battle to ich and now have to fish out my flame angle and valintini puffer
i suspected the puffer was gonna die after becoming much worse 2 or 3 days ago sill dam hard to bury your friends

ive lowered the sg to 1.012 and has been thier for a few days took about a week to get thier in a 130g im 3 days into paraguard if anyone has any comments on that

Old 06-07-2005, 11:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

No comment but a question. Do you have a UV?

Old 06-08-2005, 01:40 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

nope hear they dont help much anyway

but if i understand at 1.012 ich should not be able to reproduce so it should get better if they can cope with what they have already true?

im mostly concerned about my cowfish wich is covered quit bad diein then gassin the rest of the fish he is showing signs of improvement but hasnt eatin in 4 or 5 days wich is not good im shure
Old 06-08-2005, 01:47 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just keep an eye on the cowfish as it will produce toxins in the tank if it should die. I'm not sure about the 1.012 ich theory. Steve S may be able to chime in on that one.

Mike
Old 06-08-2005, 11:32 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was under the impression (from my experience with hypo) that the SG had to be lower than that to stop the cycle. I brought mine down to 1.009 and never let it get higher than 1.010.

Sorry for your losses. Adding selcon, garlic and fresh ground ginger to your fish feedings will help boost their immune systems though. That might give them a leg up while you battle ich.

Good luck.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 11:51 AM   #6
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyl
I was under the impression (from my experience with hypo) that the SG had to be lower than that to stop the cycle. I brought mine down to 1.009 and never let it get higher than 1.010.

The salinity must be no higher than 16 ppt, preferabley 14 ppt to compensate for evaporation. The lowered salinity interupts the reproductive stage. 1.012 will not be effective if using a hydrometer. They are usually out a few points. If so, lower to 1.009.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-08-2005, 09:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks i bought a refractometer so i can tell closer im gonna bring it down to 1.09 or so hope its enough
Old 06-09-2005, 11:34 AM   #8
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by i have crabs
thanks i bought a refractometer
Then simpley target 14 ppt and you should be fine. Just remember that you must also remove any inverts, they will not survive the hypo process. Keep enough SW prepared and ready for water changes and check alk and pH at least daily. Have a good marine buffer at the ready incase the pH is low.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-09-2005, 12:12 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

inverts and as much rock as possible were put in the 20g qt and doing fine last week i also have water and buffer here as i would guess adding tons of fresh water would drop ph like crazy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com