Were do I get empty shells for my Hermits?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ben Franklin's or any kind of that type hobby store.

Most LFSs will have empty shells too. Mine keeps all the shells from any snail they have die and sells them for $0.10 each. I've never had to buy extra shells though. I have enough snail kick the bucket to keep a supply of my own.

Nice... All good advice.... One more thing... I only have 7 Hermits and 1 snail how many moire should I add to my tank with the existing ones?

Well personally I would stop adding hermits and add more snails. The general rule is 1 cleaner per gallon of water, keep in mind this is for an established system. If your tank is less then a year old chances are you aren't going to need that large of a crew.

I had a 72g tank and I kept about 10-12 hermits and 60+ snails. I'm having to increase that in the new system (120g).

WOW... So i'm looking at about good 45+ snails? I might just go pick some up today....

Like I said if your tank is new then you don't need that many to start out with. Add maybe 10 a month as your tank matures. I have a lot of snails in my system because I have a LOT of LR. Not all of those snails are in my display. I have them in my sumps and my frag tank also.

Thanks for the help and info.... I will work on just building a little at a time.... :)

I bought 12 for my brand new 20 gallon and all but one starved to death. I would make sure your tank is established before getting too many.
Also, the LFS will gladly grab empty snail shells for your hermits and offer them at little or no cost. I was handed about 8 in a bag and told "not to worry about it"....freebies! They are glad to clean out the tanks :)

Back
Top Bottom