What are Caleurpa?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jay942942

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I heard of this coral or anemone or similar stationary aquatic invert that's called a Caluerpa? I saw it in an aquatics shop...what is it? It looks kinda like a plant but then don't most marine animals like corals do too?

Caulerpa is a macro algae. It is very very very invasive and should be placed only in a refugium. Certain kinds of caulerpa are illegal to sell in some states. Google caulerpa and do some reading. You don't want it in your main tank. It is used in the hobby for nutrient export in a refugium.

That's odd. I didn't know that plants could be kept in marine aquariums!
Thanks for the help... What's bad about it being in a main tank?

I'm sure it's legal where I live, in the UK, pretty much everything including red belly piranhas is here.

Great link...I didn't know there were so many plants that actually grow on the reef....!

Do some more research on it before you put it in your main tank. It can and will take over a tank and do so very quickly. It is not a plant you want in the main display tank. It can go sexual and foul your entire system. IF you have get any it should be put in a refugium. There are lots of horror stories on the net take a little time and read a few.

A macro algae and plant are different. A mangrove is a plant that will grow in SW, I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of any right now.

There seems to be some discrepancy as to the definition. Macroalgae refers to that of seaweeds, which are algae visible to the naked eye.

Good point!
(wouldn't the others ne mIcro algaes...?)

Last edited:
No, they are not plants. They are plant-like and once classified together, but revised siting algae lack specific internal and external tissue structures. I believe algae remains in a Subkingdom of Plantae, but only because they are plant-like. Whether it is micro or macro, it is still algae.

Aren't small algae such as diatoms in the kingdom Protista?

Back to Caulerpa, is it okay in a 10 gallon nano reef with no fish, just inverts, live rock and coral?

No, they are not plants. They are plant-like and once classified together, but revised siting algae lack specific internal and external tissue structures. I believe algae remains in a Subkingdom of Plantae, but only because they are plant-like. Whether it is micro or macro, it is still algae.

I think my point was it is not an animal therefore a plant. Even though they are not exactly the same as land plants they are certainly not animals. I'm pretty sure that all land plants evolved from green algae or so the text states anyway. Scientist love to debate the finer points and change things around when something does not fit perfectly into one category. Anyway....

Back to the Caulerpa...

You do not want it in your main tank. It will take over and you will be left with a caulerpa farm.

Ahh.. academic bantering....

FWIW if you keep calling it a plant you'll never get your point out. Too much generalization in the field but you're spot on.

Back
Top Bottom