what are some good fish for a 36 gal reef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hookemhorns_98

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Currently have 1 Splendid Dottyback.

I am looking for a few suggestions of fish with great personalities for a small tank.

I plan on adding a clown & I'm a little afraid to add an Angel because I'm afraid it will chow down on my coral.

Thanks!

Hook'em Horns

depends you can a flame angel that is an excellent reef fish. Also, the Yellow tang can be an excellent addition to you tank. I would not add to much fish since it is eally small tank you have. :mrgreen:

Yellow tang is a definite big NO NO....Tangs require much swimming room for them. A 36 gallon just wont be big enough for a tang. You need at the least a 48 inch tank for a tang. Possibly go with some goby's they are reef-safe and very funny to watch. Clownfish would be a great addition for the aquarium and are extremely hardy, although sometimes not that great of a personality....IME mine are lazy...HEHE. Angels also require bigger tanks so i would lean away from them also. HTH

I think some of the dwarf angels such as the flame and coral beauty angels would be ok in your tank. I know what you mean about worrying about them nipping at your corals. I am trying to decide if I want to put one of the two in my tank. From what I have heard is that they are really hit or miss. You could get one that will never even think about nipping your corals or you could get one that can't wait to chow down on them. OR you could get one that hasn't nipped for a long time then all of a sudden takes a liking to them! Who knows, you could get lucky!

Possum wrasse are small and are very interesting fish.
cleaner wrasse has some nice blue stripes
Firefish
psudochromis
goby
blennnie
small angler but watch out if you want to keep shrimps
cardinal
chromis
lemons, coral beauty, pygmyangles
longnose hawks
Give you some ideas , hope this helps

Back