What Do You Guys Think About My Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thartsockpg said:
What do you guys think

How about giving us some details on your tank? Looks good, have you thought about maybe adding more rock? What are your plans with it?

Yea I have thought about adding more rocks. But I think instead I'm going to get more corals that are on big rocks from the lfs to fill it up. But right now I've got a domino damsel that I've used to cycle and two ocellaris clowns that just got today. Also I have some mushrooms. Its a 30 gallon btw.

If yer goin reef you need more rock. There is a putty that you can use to hold new corals in place.

You will need 1-1.5 lbs of rock per gallon. I have 65 lbs of rock for my 55G.
Your tank is coming along nicely.

Your tank will not cycle properly if you dont have the necessary rock, and each new rock you would add would create a mini cycle to some degree most likely. Also rocks that have been sitting in a fish store tank for a long time usually see lots of pest hitchhikers etc. your not really sure what your getting thats living inside the rock, not always the case but something to keep in mind.

Schism said:
Your tank will not cycle properly if you dont have the necessary rock, and each new rock you would add would create a mini cycle to some degree most likely. Also rocks that have been sitting in a fish store tank for a long time usually see lots of pest hitchhikers etc. your not really sure what your getting thats living inside the rock, not always the case but something to keep in mind.

I got aiptasia, jelly fish, a mantis shrimp, many bristle worms, featherdusters, bristlestars, coral, and who knows what else. I agree, you need to get more live rock instead of buying more coral, odiously your not doing a fish only tank. Think of all the fun stuff you get with the rock! :)

OK so I've had the tank running for 5 months. Its already competed the cycle. What your saying is if I buy more rocks then it will mini cycle? So do I really what new rocks?

You can buy dry "base rock" and add it without having to worry about starting another cycle. Marco Rock and Bulk Reef Supply both sell nice dry base rock.
Originally Posted by Schism
Your tank will not cycle properly if you dont have the necessary rock...
That's not at all true. You can cycle a tank with 1 piece of rock....or none. What I think he means is by having such a small amount of live rock you are limited in the amount of fish you can keep. The live rock is your biological filtration and with such limited filtration the amount of bacteria in the rock can't handle a big bioload. If you had more fish than the filtration can handle you would be constantly fighting an ammonia/nitrite/nitrate problem.

ccCapt said:
You can buy dry "base rock" and add it without having to worry about starting another cycle. Marco Rock and Bulk Reef Supply both sell nice dry base rock.

That's not at all true. You can cycle a tank with 1 piece of rock....or none. What I think he means is by having such a small amount of live rock you are limited in the amount of fish you can keep. The live rock is your biological filtration and with such limited filtration the amount of bacteria in the rock can't handle a big bioload. If you had more fish than the filtration can handle you would be constantly fighting an ammonia/nitrite/nitrate problem.

Yes this is what i meant. And adding a lot of rock at a later time will cause another cycle. Not trying to say you can cycle the tank with one piece of rock however your not going to be able to support much life without ammonia problems.

Another option to avoid a "mini cycle" would be to cure the new live rock in another container. After the curing it can be added to the display tank without any cycle.

Let it sit in a tank till all the stuff that is dead or dying dies. Some of the better stores have some that they cured

Put it in a container with fresh salt water, with a heater and a power head. Heater at about 80. It's basically the same thing as cycling a new tank. Monitor ammonia and nitrites and once they are down to 0, it is cured.
I changed out all my water every week just to keep Nitrates at a decent level, and to keep it from contaminating the rock.
The die- off creates the ammonia, and once there is no more ammonia, there is no more die- off, and it's ready.

Flreefer said:
Put it in a container with fresh salt water, with a heater and a power head. Heater at about 80. It's basically the same thing as cycling a new tank. Monitor ammonia and nitrites and once they are down to 0, it is cured.
I changed out all my water every week just to keep Nitrates at a decent level, and to keep it from contaminating the rock.
The die- off creates the ammonia, and once there is no more ammonia, there is no more die- off, and it's ready.

+1. It can take a few weeks so just be patient.

Back
Top Bottom