Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-18-2014, 01:07 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
I have 1 first gen and 1 second gen Ecotech Radions over my tank. I don't see any square shadows on my tank, not did I before the original Radion's power supply failed...hence the gen 2 over the system.
May I ask how cutting a hole in the crate is keeping your fish in the tank? I'd either have it or make it go away, since that defeats the purpose.
That's my only alternative to not have squares shadows in the tank... Maybe I can put a transparent plexi on the "round hole". I was thinking fish jump on the sides, and not in the center of the tank when I did that ^.^

I only got two clownfishs as fishs, so don't think they can be enough stressed to jump out from the tank ? If it's possible, then I probably should consider buy a custom plexiglass to cover that unprotected surface...

Old 02-18-2014, 01:09 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I have 1 first gen and 1 second gen Ecotech Radions over my tank. I don't see any square shadows on my tank, not did I before the original Radion's power supply failed...hence the gen 2 over the system.
May I ask how cutting a hole in the crate is keeping your fish in the tank? I'd either have it or make it go away, since that defeats the purpose.
Probably with larger leds fixture you don't see shadow square because there's less dead light spots under wider fixtures... Thoses eggcrates doesn't block the light ?

Old 02-18-2014, 01:12 PM   #13
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

This would be a good solution for you.
DIY Aquarium Screen Top Netting Kits - Bulk Reef Supply

As for clowns jumping? It is very rare. I had a pair of b/w clowns and while I was at work, started having some stray voltage issues from the heater I had in the tank at the time. Found the male behind the tank when I got home. Needless to say, I have a new heater and I actually had a small clown remaining in my 36 bowfront that needed rehoused... sad to see a fish I liked go, but I do really like the orange and b/w combo now.

In terms of 'blocking' light...there is probably some light restriction but isn't a problem. If it was, I think at peak I only run the radions at 75% power so there is lots of room to go up. LEDs pack quite alot of power, especially when it comes to penetrating water. Much more efficient that lighting that requires bulbs.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:15 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
This would be a good solution for you.
DIY Aquarium Screen Top Netting Kits - Bulk Reef Supply

As for clowns jumping? It is very rare. I had a pair of b/w clowns and while I was at work, started having some stray voltage issues from the heater I had in the tank at the time. Found the male behind the tank when I got home. Needless to say, I have a new heater and I actually had a small clown remaining in my 36 bowfront that needed rehoused... sad to see a fish I liked go, but I do really like the orange and b/w combo now.

In terms of 'blocking' light...there is probably some light restriction but isn't a problem. If it was, I think at peak I only run the radions at 75% power so there is lots of room to go up. LEDs pack quite alot of power, especially when it comes to penetrating water. Much more efficient that lighting that requires bulbs.
Yeah my R420R is at 55%W 60%B while peek time or some corals tend to bleach.

The netting look cool, but I will have to remove it each time I want to feed. I think I'll go find a plexiglass cut, will be easier to feed and won't block light...

If I only had this tank to feed it would be ok, but I have three tank to feed/days... + my GF betta ^.^

I'm sad to hear about your dry clown If one of my clowns jump out, it will remove my will to keep SW. I lost a diamond watchman goby (35$) the first day I owned it, I was so sad
Old 02-18-2014, 01:20 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

As a noob to the hobby, I know from my 55g build that I could easily do something better for way way way less that $5k+. I really think your paying for the labor of plug and play and basically having everything picked out for you. Now don't get me wrong, that light fixture is killer!
Old 02-18-2014, 01:23 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

It is a beautiful tank, a lfs near me has one setup. However like iceman said I could setup so my her nicer of a system for $5k
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:26 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman72 View Post
As a noob to the hobby, I know from my 55g build that I could easily do something better for way way way less that $5k+. I really think your paying for the labor of plug and play and basically having everything picked out for you. Now don't get me wrong, that light fixture is killer!
You mean the light fixture on the Redsea is overpowered ? (Bad english sorry)
Old 02-18-2014, 01:28 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

And ReefSolution, they sell this 500liter kit at 7000+ 15%tx. I found it at 5k$...

I'll take a look on custom builds instead premade kits. I was loving the idea of the "kit systems" as everything is designed to work the first time you plug it... You know custom tanks are a lot of "fine tuning" and little piece to add here and here...
Old 02-18-2014, 01:53 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

I mean the light fixture is very nice. But I bet I could do something with just as good if not better equipment for half that price.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:44 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Breakthecycle2
I'd sell you my 3 month Elos complete system with AI Hyrda lights for $4k it's about 100 total gallons

Tags
red, sea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com