What do you think of the Red Sea Max S-500 ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrvincent

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys, I hope I can affort this on 2 years, what's your opinion on this setup? I can get one for 5,300$. It's 120g show tank, and 135g total system water volume.

Red Sea MAX S-500 complite plug & play coral reef aquarium system.

234X294-MAX-S-500.png

Overpriced. You could put that system together with better filtration for half the price without even trying. The issue is, after trying to help another user out who had one of these setups awhile back, is that it only has a bioball sump. If you want to do ANY kind of changes in filtration it is impossible because of the cramped space under the tank. Not worth the money.

Overpriced. You could put that system together with better filtration for half the price without even trying. The issue is, after trying to help another user out who had one of these setups awhile back, is that it only has a bioball sump. If you want to do ANY kind of changes in filtration it is impossible because of the cramped space under the tank. Not worth the money.

There's a skimmer in the sump...

According to their website:
MAX-S-Filtration1.png

Okk... I think I'll see that in two years, when the time will be to buy it.

Anyway, technology's always in evolution.

Still extremely overpriced, even with a cheap skimmer. Can still put it all together with what you want for half that price.

So you think I can get 115g show tank with 20g sump for half that price ? What about the nice looking stand and all thoses things like the light fixture that is near water and "prevent" fish from jumping?

I don't think, I know! There is a guy a couple hours away from me, as an example, that will make a ~120 tank out of acrylic for ~500.
As for a nice stand and canopy, simple DIY can get you whatever your heart desires. I'm far from a carpenter, but was able to build a nice table for my first sw tank without trying too hard out of scraps I had in the basement. Even the cheapest, most garbage wood can look nice after several coats of polyurethane. ~free depending what you have around you
A sump doesn't have to be another aquarium. Any container that can hold water and won't leach anything into the water will do. I'm planning a large build in the future and plan on using plastic water troughs that farm livestock drink out of. ~150
To prevent fish from jumping, some commercial egg crate will solve this issue. It was pretty cheap at Lowes...you'll find it in the commercial light section. You simply cut it to fit. Don't recall what it cost me after so many years...I'll find a picture or take another one of the top of my tank to show you.

View attachment 223366
Here is one side if it. Keep in mind, it would be covered by a canopy.

Yeah, that's what I did on my 20g reef, but I didn't like all the square shadows in the tank, so I has cut a round hole in the middle.

I have a setup with the 60w nano R420R Leds, do the "square shadows" happen with bigger led fixture ? (I mean more wide led fixtures)

484715cidIMG2014011000097.jpg

I have 1 first gen and 1 second gen Ecotech Radions over my tank. I don't see any square shadows on my tank, not did I before the original Radion's power supply failed...hence the gen 2 over the system.
May I ask how cutting a hole in the crate is keeping your fish in the tank? I'd either have it or make it go away, since that defeats the purpose.

I have 1 first gen and 1 second gen Ecotech Radions over my tank. I don't see any square shadows on my tank, not did I before the original Radion's power supply failed...hence the gen 2 over the system.
May I ask how cutting a hole in the crate is keeping your fish in the tank? I'd either have it or make it go away, since that defeats the purpose.

That's my only alternative to not have squares shadows in the tank... Maybe I can put a transparent plexi on the "round hole". I was thinking fish jump on the sides, and not in the center of the tank when I did that ^.^

I only got two clownfishs as fishs, so don't think they can be enough stressed to jump out from the tank ? If it's possible, then I probably should consider buy a custom plexiglass to cover that unprotected surface...

Probably with larger leds fixture you don't see shadow square because there's less dead light spots under wider fixtures... Thoses eggcrates doesn't block the light ?

This would be a good solution for you.
DIY Aquarium Screen Top Netting Kits - Bulk Reef Supply

As for clowns jumping? It is very rare. I had a pair of b/w clowns and while I was at work, started having some stray voltage issues from the heater I had in the tank at the time. Found the male behind the tank when I got home. Needless to say, I have a new heater and I actually had a small clown remaining in my 36 bowfront that needed rehoused... sad to see a fish I liked go, but I do really like the orange and b/w combo now.

In terms of 'blocking' light...there is probably some light restriction but isn't a problem. If it was, I think at peak I only run the radions at 75% power so there is lots of room to go up. LEDs pack quite alot of power, especially when it comes to penetrating water. Much more efficient that lighting that requires bulbs.

This would be a good solution for you.
DIY Aquarium Screen Top Netting Kits - Bulk Reef Supply

As for clowns jumping? It is very rare. I had a pair of b/w clowns and while I was at work, started having some stray voltage issues from the heater I had in the tank at the time. Found the male behind the tank when I got home. Needless to say, I have a new heater and I actually had a small clown remaining in my 36 bowfront that needed rehoused... sad to see a fish I liked go, but I do really like the orange and b/w combo now.

In terms of 'blocking' light...there is probably some light restriction but isn't a problem. If it was, I think at peak I only run the radions at 75% power so there is lots of room to go up. LEDs pack quite alot of power, especially when it comes to penetrating water. Much more efficient that lighting that requires bulbs.

Yeah my R420R is at 55%W 60%B while peek time or some corals tend to bleach.

The netting look cool, but I will have to remove it each time I want to feed. I think I'll go find a plexiglass cut, will be easier to feed and won't block light...

If I only had this tank to feed it would be ok, but I have three tank to feed/days... + my GF betta ^.^

I'm sad to hear about your dry clown :( If one of my clowns jump out, it will remove my will to keep SW. I lost a diamond watchman goby (35$) the first day I owned it, I was so sad :(

As a noob to the hobby, I know from my 55g build that I could easily do something better for way way way less that $5k+. I really think your paying for the labor of plug and play and basically having everything picked out for you. Now don't get me wrong, that light fixture is killer!

It is a beautiful tank, a lfs near me has one setup. However like iceman said I could setup so my her nicer of a system for $5k

As a noob to the hobby, I know from my 55g build that I could easily do something better for way way way less that $5k+. I really think your paying for the labor of plug and play and basically having everything picked out for you. Now don't get me wrong, that light fixture is killer!

You mean the light fixture on the Redsea is overpowered ? (Bad english sorry)

And ReefSolution, they sell this 500liter kit at 7000+ 15%tx. I found it at 5k$...

I'll take a look on custom builds instead premade kits. I was loving the idea of the "kit systems" as everything is designed to work the first time you plug it... You know custom tanks are a lot of "fine tuning" and little piece to add here and here...

I mean the light fixture is very nice. But I bet I could do something with just as good if not better equipment for half that price.

Back
Top Bottom